BOVIS want to bring legal completion forwards with unfinished external works

hellobenlloyd

Hi,

Please could I ask for some advice?

For a number of months now Bovis homes have been back and forth with us arranging and re arranging home demos and our anticipated legal completion date. The dates are constantly in flux and have been since the end of August.

We're now at a stage where we're qucikly approaching our mortgage offer expirey (19th November) and we have little confidence that our latest date for completion 11th November will stick. Even if they bump us a week to the 18th it's still cutting it pretty fine.

The house is currently in it's final stages of the second fix (skirting etc). All the plmumbing is done, the kitchen is in and the electircs are on. However the external works, in particular Garage structure are still at ground work level.

Bovis are saying they are confident they can hit the 18th November dealine for completion and the house will be habitable to standards, but external works may still be WIP. Would you legally complete with outstanding external works, and from today, over the next 3 weeks what do you think unfinished will look like? Are we talking just guttering and a few touch ups or will the garage still be in constrtuction?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

moley

Hi,

Please could I ask for some advice?

For a number of months now Bovis homes have been back and forth with us arranging and re arranging home demos and our anticipated legal completion date. The dates are constantly in flux and have been since the end of August.

We're now at a stage where we're qucikly approaching our mortgage offer expirey (19th November) and we have little confidence that our latest date for completion 11th November will stick. Even if they bump us a week to the 18th it's still cutting it pretty fine.

The house is currently in it's final stages of the second fix (skirting etc). All the plmumbing is done, the kitchen is in and the electircs are on. However the external works, in particular Garage structure are still at ground work level.

Bovis are saying they are confident they can hit the 18th November dealine for completion and the house will be habitable to standards, but external works may still be WIP. Would you legally complete with outstanding external works, and from today, over the next 3 weeks what do you think unfinished will look like? Are we talking just guttering and a few touch ups or will the garage still be in constrtuction?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Speaking bluntly and based on what you've said, I wouldn't agree to it.
Bovis do not care one bit about your level of satisfaction. They just want your money.

If they are already messing you around, this is likely to continue and/or worsen once you're in and they have got your money. Its all very well for Bovis to tell you they are confident they will hit a deadline, get them to put it in writing otherwise it is just hot air.

I speak from experience as a Bovis home owner.

After you move in, you are supposed to get all your snags fixed then you sign off on the build. After this time, anything you need is handled by Bovis Customer Care. After 3 years, we have never signed off the initial paperwork. We have had many, many snags eventually sorted out, and the house is now OK but we are still pursuing a long running fault with garden fencing.
On the site where we live, almost none of the promised landscaping and finishing has ever been done.

I realise Bovis offer you 2 years of "we will fix anything" but believe me when I tell you their customer services are very poor, and they are not above dragging things out past the 2 year mark on purpose, then telling you it isn't their problem any more.

Ask yourself if you'd buy a brand new car on this basis. Ask your solicitor for an opinion as well. Do you fancy a couple of years of chasing down faults?

NewHomeExpert

I would suggest your home is being rushed for Bovis year end figures.
The latest date for legal completion would be 23rd December although many firms (solicitors/lenders) may shut down for Christmas on 18 December.

You will be paying for everything, yet Bovis expect you to accept that the garage will be incomplete and external works outstanding.
Would you pay for a three course meal and accept being told that the steak will be served at a later date?
Refuse to legally complete until the home is 100% finished in every respect and you or your inspector have snagged it.

I know of many Bovis buyers who find out just how bad their customer care is once they have issues.
Too late for you, but the sensible option is not to buy a Bovis new home in the first place.