Bovis Part Ex

New Build Inspections

Marinam

Hi,

I am after some advice please.

I have a property on the market that is not selling as fast as I need it and doubt it will for the price I want so have found out that part ex may be more suitable.

Due to the distance I want to move I have so far only come across Bovis who would do it and unlike Barratt (who offered £15k less than Bovis) offer a reasonable amount for my house.

I have what I would consider a good deal offered with £15k off the new build asking price, £5k more offered on mine compared to a house(better than mine) sold on my street last week although still a bit below what would have liked. Also included in the deal I have turfing, fencing, flooring incl. carpets etc. all integrated appliances, stamp duty paid, agents fees paid , £750 towards my solicitor fees (yes my own not a recommended one) and a quite generous entertainment package.

I have read a few negative reviews on Bovis here which have scared me a bit but my understanding is that they are still better that most ...or better than a lot?

Any and all advice would be appreciated please.

Marina

NewHomeExpert

My first observation would be that you appear to be looking based just on price and what you can get for your existing home via Part-Ex.
This is wrong. You should be moving and buying a home based on the fact that you really like both it and the area.
A great home in a good area is worth paying more for.

All the larger house builders will do part-exchange of some sort and most "deals" will mean you don't get as much or any discount off the new home.
The builders realise you are saving thousands in not having to sell and also on the stress of not having a chain.
What you get depends on several factors, how desperate the builder is, end of year figures, how quick they can sell your house etc etc.

For what its worth, if you insist on buying a new build home, my advice would be to avoid Bovis and buy '5 star' Barratt.
You will (or should based on the evidence) get a better built house and much better after sales than you would get from '4 star' Bovis.
Bovis are most definitely NOT "better than most." They are not even "better than a lot"

At least you have your own solicitor which is good to hear, but buying a new home is not all about money.
Perhaps this is why your existing house wont sell now - you bought it based on price! Just a thought.

Marinam

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I am sorry I thought the fact that I love the house and the area went without saying given that I am willing to commit nearly £200k to it. Yes the house is the best bar one I have seen and the area also but has the best possible transport links for what I will need. The other house that I like is cheaper but does not have the transport links I need so I am not just basing it on money. The only Barratt development suitable is in a very rough area, smaller dimentions wise and they are offering a LOT less money.

However, you are also right that finance is important to me as I am still low on the property ladder and making a massive move from North where houses are very cheap to South.

Thanks
Marina

Last edited:

Marinam

The reason I thought they seemed alright is because on your website I found a link to number of complaints about each developer and they seemed to come quite low?

NewHomeExpert

The reason I thought they seemed alright is because on your website I found a link to number of complaints about each developer and they seemed to come quite low?

Bovis log fewer complaints because they build fewer new homes each year on fewer sites.
They get just 4 stars in the HBF Consumer survey 29% of the 2813 homes built just 815 completed the survey.
Barratt have been consistently 5 stars and over 40% of buyers completed the survey (5484)
Another way to look at it is the number of homes built last year per NHBC Quality Award won.
Barratt site managers won 89 NHBC Quality Awards equating to 167 homes built per award.
In contrast Bovis won just 4 NHBC Quality Awards last year equating to one award for every 703 homes built.
So on that basis alone, Barratt are over four times better at building quality than Bovis.

Buying in less expensive areas can be a good idea.
provided you have stable work opportunities why pay the prices in the south?
Although some people do still try and struggle and buy with "help" to buy.

Last edited: