Bovis Homes Reviews

New Build Inspections

SalesAdvisor

Hello everyone. Yes I am a sales advisor and I have worked for many different new build companies. But I'm typing this to warn people NOT to go with Bovis. This company by far is the worst I have ever worked for. The second you exchange contracts, Bovis couldn't care less about the customer. It's not the sales advisors that's the issue with Bovis, it's the powers at be at Head Office! Most of the site managers need to be sacked, and the general attitude around Bovis is (I don't care!). I'm only typing this because I do enjoy my job and it hurts me when I have to tell customers that their new home isn't ready or when it has major problems with it. The day you move in should be perfect. Of course every new build has teething problems because it's been hand built) but there is no excuse as to the scale of problems that Bovis deal with on a day to day basis

NewHomeExpert

If working for Bovis is that bad, why don't you leave and put it all in your resignation letter and send it to CEO Mark Ritchie?
Mind you after that post, I expect your days are numbered anyway!

Every new home doesn't have "teething problems" that's just an excuse for poor management, ineffective snagging and bad workmanship.
Everything you buy is hand built. Or made by machines that were hand built.
No where else do consumers buy something expecting it to have faults and accepting this as the way it is.
This is exactly why the industry is the way it is with attitudes like this.

Oh and don't tell me you don't force Bovis' choice of solicitors on your "customers" claiming it will be "quicker" "easier" when you know its against requirement 2.5 of the CCHB which you don't give them a copy of when the reserved even though you know you should! Requirement 1.2!
Finally of course you don't try and push over-priced "optional extras" that you get paid commission on either!

Its very easy to moan from a nice warm and dry sales office "working" 10am to 6pm "selling" tax-payer subsidised new "homes" to 100's of naive first-time buyers.
And try seeing it from the site manager's point of view too!

fedupofbovis

3 months of hell!

Well after buying our dream home we moved in in September. We didn't receive back door keys for 2 weeks and window keys for 3 weeks!

The waste pipe was leaking ingo the walls which caused mold all over the walls! It took Bovis 10 weeks to fix.

Builders dropped cement on my partners car 4 times causing damage and it now requires a whole respray!

Bovis decorators got paint all over the sofa I purchased of them for £1500!

The kitchen cupboards sag

All the doors are cut too short

Deep cracks in every room

All carpets too small

Boiler breaks every day

5 floor tiles in the bathroom have huge cracks in them which Bovis decided to paint to try and hide it from us

3 months later we still have Bovis signage in our bathroom which they keep promising to remove! (It was a show home)

The list is endless

I just get false promises, workers never show up. We are now seriously considering legal action

NewHomeExpert

If you have a timber frame home the leak could be serious problems in the future.
Ideally the drylining needs to be ripped off, insulation removed and the frame allowed to dry out fully before replacement and reinstatement of the insulation and finishes.
Write to the NHBC and make a formal complaint.
Write to Bovis CEO Mark Ritchie and make a formal complaint.
Post on twitter and facebook everyday until things get sorted out.

And why don't you take down the Bovis sign yourself!
If you cant, block the sales centre car park entrance with your car, it will soon be taken down!
It's time to get nasty!

MikeJenvey

Compile an accurate list of the snags (& lack of action) & hand this out as a flier to visitors at the local Sales Office. Give them a copy & things will soon start to get done. I only had to give them a copy (c.c.d to Customer Care Director) when we had issues for our property & snagging action was super-fast! ;-)

Look back through the thread - Alan.Knight@bovishomes.co.uk - is the Customer Care Director. Send him a list of the snags & required action with your desired timescale. Copy in the Managing Director, Sue Warwick, at the main offices in Kent. I presume that on normal format, her email would be Sue.Warwick@bovishomes.co.uk

optionalextras

We have bought a Bovis homes property, they are asking us to complete by the 30th September but not move in until later in October?! They have said they would pay for my mortgage though.

What I do have a problem with is that with the optional extras we bought. We asked for a larger 5 ring hob instead of a smaller 4 ring hob. When we made this choice, they assured us that the unit below would be changed also from a 600mm to 800mm unit. That is what sold me in choosing this option. But they have kept the same sized unit. There is enough room to put in the said unit as there is a 200mm gap by the boxing. They said now that the price was to change the hob, splashback and hood. not the unit. Now looking at the receipt it does not include the unit, but was assured that the unit would be included! Really annoyed about that. Not sure if they will change now?

Also, included in the price when we bought the house was a door at the rear of the garage. but this has not been done either yet. Should I be completing before the house has actually been finished? If I sign before being completed and things have not been done, would I be able to bring these up or will they turn around and say I have already signed, you have waivered your right to these?

Moovinsoon1

Hi, can I ask what site your purchasing from, as I'm waiting to complete soon also. I'd be careful completing on the basis that you then lawfully own the property, whereby any problems you identify maybe more problematic getting sorted, as the incentive for Bivis will be less, given they will be paid the money from your solicitor.
I've had some problems with promises on extras, but I played hardball at the point of exchanging contracts, where I wouldn't sign unless they gave into my reasonable request for some upgrades.

optionalextras

The location I am buying from is Wantage, Oxfordshire.

They are asking me to complete at the end of September 30th so I am not sure if I can hold back the completion even if the house is not completed as they said I will not be able to move until 23th October?

Am I still in a position to say the kitchen needs to be altered before completion, thus holding back until it is done?

TlaTla

Buying a home with Bovis is like dining with the devil

Hello everyone. Yes I am a sales advisor and I have worked for many different new build companies. But I'm typing this to warn people NOT to go with Bovis. This company by far is the worst I have ever worked for. The second you exchange contracts, Bovis couldn't care less about the customer. It's not the sales advisors that's the issue with Bovis, it's the powers at be at Head Office! Most of the site managers need to be sacked, and the general attitude around Bovis is (I don't care!). I'm only typing this because I do enjoy my job and it hurts me when I have to tell customers that their new home isn't ready or when it has major problems with it. The day you move in should be perfect. Of course every new build has teething problems because it's been hand built) but there is no excuse as to the scale of problems that Bovis deal with on a day to day basis

Thank you Sales Advisor for speaking the truth. Its been 3 months since I moved into my home built by Bovis. I regret my life for buying a property from Bovis. It would have been less stressful to build it myself than going with Bovis. I have list upon list of snags that 3months on are yet to be resolved. The problem now is I'm fed up and given up because as they resolve one issue another creeps up after they've left. I'm a first time buyer, and if this is what all buyers go through then why the hype about owing a home. I have never been stressed like this in my life, with phone calls to the sales office almost every morning and emails are now my regular means of communication daily. The worse was when I got to my property for the first time and I couldn't recognise it because it wasn't the design I saw in the catalogue and certainly not what I was shown. The day I moved in and for over 2 weeks, I had no gas and plumbing was not working with other list of countless issues. At present, I'm planning on suing Bovis for defrauding me, which is also not something I'm looking forward to because I can not afford to take time off work, but this has to be done because I feel cheated and duped.

JulesWhite

We bought a Bovis home in June 2019 and have encountered build defect after build defect, to compound this 18 months on and still we do not have dates for the vast amounts of work to be done. Bovis still fall back on the "go to the NHBC" which we keep doing but this is costing us hundreds of hours of our time, just since November. We have had to have all the mortar to half the height of the house removed, but the contractors did not follow the HSE regulations causing silica dust to contaminate our gardens, ingress into our house, the contractors damaged our new decking and we are still fighting to get Bovis to agree to rectify the damage caused. Our flooring in our kitchen has been up for over a year, because they built the patio up to the house and didn't leave a drainage channel as per the plans. This caused water to ingress under the bifold doors and damaged the Amtico flooring - a year on and we still don't have a date to rectify this. The flooring upstairs has been inspected by Trada and has been found to have serious defects in every single room and today the stairs has been found to be improperly installed. These are just a few of the defects we have encountered from Bovis, we have been verbally abused by contractors, been fobbed off and lied to and constantly have to battle to get anywhere with them. I most definitely would not recommend them to anyone!