Bellway Garden dying

Discussion in 'Bellway Homes' started by JPHH, Oct 17, 2016.

1. JPHH

JPHH New Member

Hi all, probably shot myself in the foot by telling bellway I don't want them in my home anymore but I have an issue with our garden.

Both front and rear garden are patchy and dying (1/4 of my rear lawn is yellow and dead) it appears that we have some sort of grub infestation and on speaking with other owners they have the same issue.

Some owners have had turf replace others have been fobbed off with "it's because your dog is urinating on the grass".

I've pressed this with Bellway for most of this year and they just aren't interested. I've recently contacted the NHBC but on reading things I am not confident they will help.

Any ideas on how to rectify this?

Any ideas on what I can do?

2. Matron999

Matron999 New Member

You told Bellway that you don't want them in your house, well they don't need to actually go into your home to sort this out so I would hassle them again especially if you don't have a dog. Bellway replaced some of our turf only last week without any problems whatsoever because it was going brown in areas and some parts of the lawn were bald. We don't have a dog though and I understand from a friend who does that dog urine will turn grass yellow. Put it in writing to the area manager with photographs. Good luck

3. JPHH

JPHH New Member

I have taken this as far as possible with Bellway and its now with the NHBC.

Four properties on the development have had the turf replaced for the same issue but Bellway wont admit to this.

Guess we just have to keep at them like we have done for every other issue.

4. Tony

Tony Administrator

I had the turf replaced on my home - basically they hadn't prepared the ground properly before laying the turf so it died. I am guessing a similar problem. Good luck with the NHBC

5. NewHomeExpert

NewHomeExpert Well-Known Member

One thing for sure is that there is a reason that the grass is dying [has died]
    Unless the underlying reason is identified and rectified new turf will also die.

It could be for any one or more of the following reasons:
    1) Leatherjackets in the soil/turf. These are the Crane Fly aka daddy-long-legs larvae and they eat grass roots.
    2) The ground is contaminated. several samples would need to be sent away for independent testing. Was the home built on a brownfield site?
    If so check what contamination there was and ask for a clean up certificate and then challenge it.
    3) Builders debris buried under the topsoil or things like white spirit, diesel, engine oil etc in the ground.
    4) And yes if you have a dog it is most likely to be the cause (or foxes, or cats!)