Barratt/David Wilson Home File

Discussion in 'Barratt Homes' started by plot17, Apr 4, 2012.

1. plot17

plot17 New Member

How about publishing letters that Barratt have sent me? I have some where they have offered me compensation (which I have not accepted as it is not a fair offer - they offered £2000 a couple of times and then increased it to £3000) that I would like to share with the world.

2. plot17

plot17 New Member

3. NewHomeExpert

NewHomeExpert Well-Known Member

I would lose the hit counter. Use google analytics.
    I will give you a link from my website in a few days.
    Keep up the good work.

4. Troy

Troy New Member

I had terrible trouble with our new David Wilson Home and my experience is echoed all over this site. I initially tried to speak to the Site Foreman (Usless) then the Area Customer Services Manager (Who apprantly doesn't deal with customers direct) he did in the end I found out when he was next on site and made him come to my house. He made all sorts of promises which never materialised.

Eventually I managed to obtain Sir David Wilson's personal fax number (now changed surprise surprise) and very shortly after I sent my fax the phone was ringing. It was at this point I thought (foolishly) I had at last achieved sense. No not to be so eventually and after a lot of hard work I sucessfully took them to Small Claims Court. Their intial reply from their Solicitors was to threaten me with all sorts stating they NEVER pay compensation. Long story short they did against a 'gagging' order which they really can't and wouldn't want to challenge.

You must show 'loss' ie; cost of repairs, making right the Court will not pay for your time/effort/loss of earnings/emotional upset etc. Once you Register your Court documents (easy) the Court appoint and independant surveyor who will assess the cost to put right the poor workmanship etc. MY advice is that your house is lifes biggest purchase - sue the B******S

5. NewHomeExpert

David Wilson sold his business to Barratt quite a few years ago, and I am surprised he would be that botherd now - not that he was when he ran Wilson Bowden. (David Wilson Homes)
    I remember one story when he visited a site and the forklift driver said cheerilly to Wilson's chaufeur driven rolls,
    "wait ther mate I will be out of your way in a tick"
    Apparently Wilson instructed the site manager to sack the fork lift driver as "no one calls me mate"
    The Site staff told the forklift driver to go home on full pay and come back in the morning, meantime most of the work stopped on the site as there was no forklift driver!

Re going to court, it is only when the housebuilders find that building new homes better is actually cheaper for them - that standards will improve.
    I urge EVERYONE who is not happy with their new home to complain and keep on complaining, even if it means going to court to get justice!

6. dwhhomehell

dwhhomehell New Member

#26 dwhhomehell, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  7. Binkie

Binkie New Member

Hi I'm new here and thinking of making such a request for my own situation.

You say in your 1st posting that the data supplied should include all information and correspondence relating to your property. How far does this have to go? Does it include contracts with sub-contractors to do work to given standards on multi-home developments?

8. NewHomeExpert

Only applicable information relating specifically and only to you and your plot is required to be given.
    Sub Contractor's contracts are commercially sensitive and as such are not required to be given.
    All house builders and their contractors are required to build to the requirements of the Building Regulations and the standards (such as they are) of the warranty providers (NHBC and others)

9. zednine

zednine New Member

just looked at all your pics, i have to say most new houses are like this.

You obviously had the balls and conviction to take them on.. well done.

10. NewHomeExpert

If anyone is really unhappy with their new home, setting up a blog or website is a great way of exposing the house builder.
    put it this way, if someone searches say "Persimmon new home" and under the Persimmon website listing are nine buyer's websites saying "my Persimmon hell" and the like it will cost them sales, affect their business and in the end they will have to change or go out of business.

Problem is, once the buyer has got compensation and/or the problems fixed they are bullied into taking them down.

11. unhappy bunny

unhappy bunny New Member

I need to admit I have experienced similar things with Persimmon and I am currently taking the route via the consumer code.

Needless to say, the British homes are the laughing stock of the whole of Europe. Almost every person I know who comes to live in this country does not comprehend how come such a developed country which is UK can build such poor quality homes (with few exceptions of course).

12. NewHomeExpert

Its even worse than that! No one is prepared to do anything about it!
    Politicians and governments cave in as soon as house builders "throw a wobbly" about anything that will improve new homes but affect their bottom line such as minimum space standards and zero carbon homes.
    That said they could at least build the tiny, itsy-bitsy, wee, small rabbit hutches to a good quality and/or give a service to fix defects if they cannot.
    This is why we need an Ombudsman for New Homes - write to your MP and demand it.