anyone challenged NHBC report?

James75

has anyone ever successfully challenged a NHBC report and findings? I've have a situation where we have water dripping from the dry verges on the gable roof onto the window sill of our en-suite. This makes an incredibly loud noise when there is heavy rain, and wakes us in the night!!! Our developers (Linden) have refused to do anything, and I contacted NHBC hoping that they would see that there was a design flaw here, the verges are designed to drip excess water, which I have no problem with, its just not when there is a hollow plastic window sill below it. The report says no action required as there is no issue with the parts or fault with the construction. Mentions nothing about the design issue, and I feel is stitched me up in any future conversations I may have with the developer. I have challenged the report but was interested to see if anyone had ever been successful in doing this????

malcolm22

No point in trying to challenge, as they will always find someone to "prove" that you are wrong. I've had the experience of trying to challenge them but gave up because of the cost. It will be cheaper to fix the problem yourself than anything else may suggest. Have you signed the petition for an Ombudsman at change.org?
MP's, the Financial Ombudsman, asking for your "personal data" as suggested by others on this website has no effect. The house builders have it all sewn up!

[Glen]

I cannot afford to fix the problems I have found in a new build. What is the best approach to challenging the report?

Last edited:

crazydave

did you have it properly snagged and was there a retention clause in your contract? both make matters easier but not the repairs as modern builds are not designed to be repaired as they are supposed to be built right first time.

sometimes the press like local papers desperate for a story, radio shows like you and yours or local tv can work in your favour. especially if the neighbours are all the same.

small builders big builders they are all the same and trades are as lazy as ever, I've worked on sites where they want to be paid piece work so they can bang it in with power tools but when stuck on hourly they just use hand tools and do no better a job of it.

I did plenty of sites as a fitter and occasionally would be asked if I'd snag the property as well or patch up unfinished or forgotten jobs - which could take weeks.

many trades seem to think they are worth the money but most fail to reach the grade mainly due to a bad attitude which they often get from the rip off builders and prissy architects.

ask a trade and they will say they wouldn't have a new house given - unless of course they worked on the estate at the time and made sure it was to spec - as they knew it was their kind who 'built' them.

NewHomeExpert

modern builds are not designed to be repaired as they are supposed to be built right first time
It agree they should be built properly and to a high quality and standard, but "not designed to be repaired" is utter rubbish!

crazydave

It agree they should be built properly and to a high quality and standard, but "not designed to be repaired" is utter rubbish!

you obviously haven't tried to snag a site then? or indeed worked in them.

even fitting a new kitchen in a new build you play russian roulette hanging anything on the walls, pad and dab walls are a nightmare to patch up and even worse if its tape and joint although to be fair you can at least hang things off 12mm plasterboard.

I've just spent a month sistering joists because it was built below spec and trying to take tiles off a shower area where they hadn't sealed the board properly so the board came away with the tiles. I have a master bath which sags when full and will also need major works to stop it. all the ceilings are artexed because decorators are cheaper so you can't change the lighting or move the loft hatch without a major faff or deal with flaking ceilings due to poor plumbing. and don't get me started on the electrics.

My roof is a foot too low to enable a straight forward loft conversion

so obviously my house is exceptionally well prepared for alteration and repair.

and we have that recent report last week on the substandard building currently ongoing. new housing stock is supposed to last 200 years at current rate of replacement. be lucky if they last 50.

I've been asked to snag new builds and it is a total nightmare, nothing is fixable you can only bodge it unless you rip it out and start again. new builds are held together with decorfil. when I've been on estates and plans have changed, if the trade in question doesn't get the new drawings (usually electricians) then its a disaster.

Last edited:

Poornewhomes

No but would be interested to know outcome. No harm done in contesting NHBC report. Trouble is NHBC is closely linked to major builders. There is the Consumer code.
We need a New Build Ombudsman as the only way to address appalling build quality and dishonesty.

This link has fantastic information. Try using a Data Subject Access report on your builder and NHBC.
How To Complain - Template Complaint Letters

Poornewhomes

Google newhomes complaints and there is fantastic information on how to complain. Try a subject access data report and complain to your MP.

NewHomeExpert

It is called a Subject Access Request. Definitely well worth doing.
House builders are legally required to comply and it causes them an administration headache so it is well worth the £10 just for that!
If you are having problems with your house builder do a Subject Access Request and see what you get back!

I am pleased you found the information on my website useful.
it is just a pity potential new home buyers don't find it until after they buy and have the inevitable problems!
My blog has useful information too, the latest being that the APPG government Inquiry is recommending the New Homes Ombudsman be set up!

Everyone should write to their MP and demand the New Homes Ombudsman now be set up at the earliest opportunity.
Nearly everyone on this forum would benefit!

mkfc1981

We had the NHBC & Barratt over to assess our dodgy floors. The creaking of the floor is so loud it wakes up everyone in the house. Yet mister NHBC determined this acceptable and make a claim if or when it got MUCH worse. His decision was 100% subjective and based on his hearing, the actual noise level were not measured. It's a new build it's outrageous that we must accept any creaking at all. If anyone else has a Barratt home and has floor issues please let me know. Might be easier if we homeowners joined forces.

new build inspector

snagging inspections 01788 494400
yes you can challenge , what they say , i have done so and been succesful ....you will need to bring something new to the table though

expert advice, measurements etc will normally cause them to back down

i had a client a few years back his floors dropped and the NHBC refused his claim , so we laser measured the foor , recording every single high and low spot on a cad drawing for the whole ground floor ( timber beams ) and it was a bungalow ....they paid out 27k in the end , after a first offer of 14k

they operate just like any other insurance company .....they refuse and hope you will go away , and many do , and so they lose out

so

check your facts , get your ammo sorted and appeal their decision

mkfc1981

It is called a Subject Access Request. Definitely well worth doing.
House builders are legally required to comply and it causes them an administration headache so it is well worth the £10 just for that!
If you are having problems with your house builder do a Subject Access Request and see what you get back!

I am pleased you found the information on my website useful.
it is just a pity potential new home buyers don't find it until after they buy and have the inevitable problems!
My blog has useful information too, the latest being that the APPG government Inquiry is recommending the New Homes Ombudsman be set up!

Everyone should write to their MP and demand the New Homes Ombudsman now be set up at the earliest opportunity.
Nearly everyone on this forum would benefit!

Hi I sent the Subject Access request. And they sent me incomplete files. None of the files relate to the actual building specifications and or any information around the time prior to completion. nor did they include any reports on the ongoing snagging work. How can i make them send everything? I have used the template from the website you requested but only received a lot of useless files.

I have one piece of evidence from a contractor stating the "i" beams need bracing and requested to be rebooked for further repairs. They brushed that under the carpet and claim no further repair was required.

But it would help having proof that they did not build the floor to requirement.

Any support would be greatly appreciated.