Any Berkeley homes problems?

New Build Inspections

GeoffTomo

I have had a disappointing experience with Berkeley Homes. More so that this is the second time I have bought a flat from them, and considered them high build quality and customer service.

When they sell their flats they have different 'specs' of finish and I made the mistake of ordering the premium spec. for a flat in North London - Beaufort Park.

The first mistake they made was to make the master bedroom so small and was configured so the bed had to go in a certain direction in the room. This lack of space was obviously due to trying to squeeze too many flats into the building footprint, but this is something to really check when buying a flat off them. Please be warned.

The second mistake they made was they then offered 'premium' spec. for the flat including large wardrobe doors, which itself cost several thousand pounds more. The issue was when there is an actual bed in there, you are unable to open the doors to the wardrobe even halfway, and so have to climb into the space!!

Obviously I chased them up on this, but they maintained a kind of sold as seen attitude, and left it to me to suggest a partial solution, which I did (concertina wardrobe doors), and then asked me for several thousand of points to fix it, which I declined...

The 'customer service' director suggested that as long as the wardrobe doors could be opened to a degree it was a success story...

I am somewhat surprised that and disappointed that Berkeley Homes is choosing a classic short term saving over long term reputation. Its also interesting that there doesn't seem to be many places to actually get reviews from customers on them, and perhaps this lack of accountability is part of the problem, when there seems to be ample reviews online for much smaller purchases we make in our lives.

All of this has left a sour taste in my mouth about buying from them again, not that they seem at all bothered. So please beware that things like this do happen, don't want you to lose out.

Last edited by a moderator:

MidBaz

Here's how Berkeley's operate (IMO):
1 - procure a desirable plot
2 - design something attractive and sympathetic
3 - build a top notch sales office and employ very good sales staff
4 - secure the sale
5 - assign a very helpful rep to guide the buyer through the process including all the various options
6 - get the sub-contractors to knock up the building in as short a time as humanly possible
7 - complete and bank the money
8 - send in maintenance teams time after time after time to rectify snags/faults
In our small and supposedly exclusive development, a number of houses have been flooded. We have had a bath leak through the lounge ceiling and a shower leak through a bathroom ceiling. We have had entire kitchen appliances replaced (scratched),a kitchen tower unit replaced (incorrectly installed), 22 downlights replaced (fitted into over-sized recesses) and many many other faults. Our WC basis had to be moved, the circulating pump on the Mega Flo had to be moved and we very nearly went up in flames due to the incorrect installation of the dishwasher. There were 3 attempts at fitting the wine fridge in accordance with instruction and one of the showers had to be taken apart as they had fitted the wrong one. Overall, we have had over 70 faults and they keep on coming over 3 years in. This weekend our rear guttering came apart due to incorrect installation but Berkeley's have said it's owner's responsibility! This despite the fact it is quite clear the gutter has been cut too short so does not fit fully into the joint. All of the oak jewel caps fell off. I could go on and on. Did I mention the radiators which were fittted at a 'jaunty' angle, or all of the bath and shower. Albee which were not fitted correctly? Just to finish things off nicely, they numbered our parking spaces to correspond with the house numbers (sensible, right?), then half way through suddenly started numbering according to the plot numbers! I pointed out their error whilst they were still doing it but they just laughed! I dread to think what problems we have ahead of us so we are thinking of moving.
The vast majority of this could be avoided if Berkeley's were to care about QC at the build stage. OK we may get our house a month or two later but would be so much happier in our new home.

MidBaz

Here's how Berkeley's operate (IMO):
1 - procure a desirable plot
2 - design something attractive and sympathetic
3 - build a top notch sales office and employ very good sales staff
4 - secure the sale
5 - assign a very helpful rep to guide the buyer through the process including all the various options
6 - get the sub-contractors to knock up the building in as short a time as humanly possible
7 - complete and bank the money
8 - send in maintenance teams time after time after time to rectify snags/faults
In our small and supposedly exclusive development, a number of houses have been flooded. We have had a bath leak through the lounge ceiling and a shower leak through a bathroom ceiling. We have had entire kitchen appliances replaced (scratched),a kitchen tower unit replaced (incorrectly installed), 22 downlights replaced (fitted into over-sized recesses) and many many other faults. Our WC basis had to be moved, the circulating pump on the Mega Flo had to be moved and we very nearly went up in flames due to the incorrect installation of the dishwasher. There were 3 attempts at fitting the wine fridge in accordance with instruction and one of the showers had to be taken apart as they had fitted the wrong one. Overall, we have had over 70 faults and they keep on coming over 3 years in. This weekend our rear guttering came apart due to incorrect installation but Berkeley's have said it's owner's responsibility! This despite the fact it is quite clear the gutter has been cut too short so does not fit fully into the joint. All of the oak jewel caps fell off. I could go on and on. Did I mention the radiators which were fittted at a 'jaunty' angle, or all of the bath and shower. Albee which were not fitted correctly? Just to finish things off nicely, they numbered our parking spaces to correspond with the house numbers (sensible, right?), then half way through suddenly started numbering according to the plot numbers! I pointed out their error whilst they were still doing it but they just laughed! I dread to think what problems we have ahead of us so we are thinking of moving.
The vast majority of this could be avoided if Berkeley's were to care about QC at the build stage. OK we may get our house a month or two later but would be so much happier in our new home.

mauhhq

Hi,

I know this has been an old thread, however I thoughht I might share my experience as well as a buyer, which has been mixed, I have bought a Berkeley home in London.

I like the fact that all the flats are high spec, has good quality fixture and fittings. We've had lots of minor issues(10+) with the flat when we moved in, although all the issues have been fixed quickly by customer service, nothing major. Customer service has been very helpful.

One thing I care most about is noise and soundproofing, I cannot hear people talking downstairs which is great. However, I have been having noise issue with their doors. All flats front doors close automatically, however the doors are hefty and all of them slam hard. When neighbours on the same floor as me leaves their flat and close their door, my door vibrates and slams too from turbulence. Also when my neighbour goes to work in the morning, their door slamming can wake me up, and this neighbour lives TWO floors below me, not even directly below me. I could hear them even wearing earplugs - shocking!

Neighbours weren't being a nuisance as they were just letting the doors shut automatically. Berkeley never bothered to adjust their doors when people move in, so every single door in our block slams really hard, just like an earthquake that make people jump.

Would I buy from Berkeley again? Not sure, I'd be more hesitant, peace and quiet, and sleep is so important.

Zoe RS

Purchased at Royal Wells Park, Tunbridge Wells 2 weeks ago. Major issues so far 1) sewage outlet pipe deliberately blocked by a plastic bottle causing sewage to back up to loos. 2) Cold water plumbed the wrong way around. So had our first week end with no loos or washing facilities. 3) Now discovered flashing on chimney stack is faulty - rain water ingressing into master bathroom and dripping through ceiling lights over the bath. Bathroom out of action until fixed due to electrocution risk. 4) French doors to b2 not fitted properly and air gap along one side. Room’s occupant is asthmatic..... 5) multiple minor issues not even worth mentioning. This is my 4th new home and I’m shocked by the poor quality compared to the others, especially given the premium price paid. Utterly useless. 24 hour helpline ok the first time but not even answered this week end. Repeated platitudes from rep are sounding very hollow....

CECI

I am buying a Berkeley property, but I found some design flaw in the flat, and lots of snagging issues, should I get a snagging survey after the completion?

Hopeful Buyer

We are on a 'waiting' list for a new Berkeley home development, while they wait to launch. I am quite confused by their approach. We have told them which plot we want after sourcing the plans on the council planning portal. They are saying they have to wait to launch and then invite us in to show us the plans. They won't discuss pricing until they launch and we can be invited in to talk to them. Are they just trying to build up the hype and see how much interest they get before deciding how much they think they can sell the property for??
I have read many bad reviews on the build quality, so am having second thoughts but just wanted to get some opinions on their pricing strategy.

New Build Inspector

snagging inspections 01788 494400
to be fair berkeley are one of the better builders with good customer service ......this whole charade about the pricing is just crazy ....but as you say it means they can determine interest and squeeze out the last of the margins

jkwjxncvqi

I have a "high-end" 2 BR London flat with over 100 snagging issues/defects, including leaking and clogged showers, and squeaky doors. Customer service is unresponsive and rude (and there is no way to complain or speak to someone else). Definitely avoid unless you can get a snagging retention.