Advice please :Charles Church (Persimmon Homes)

soullimbu

HI everyone! I have reserved a plot which is being built at the moment by Charles Church which is part of persimmon homes at Cumnor Hill, Oxford. Since joining this site I have seen huge complaints about the developers and now I am very much worried.

Should I still go ahead with the purchase or should I back off! I am confused Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tiptree

my advise is think long and hard.I moved in to my brand new home mid 2006 and everytime it rains our sinks back the toilets fill to the rim and HALF A MILLON pound houses at the end of the development have human waste going onto there lawns and nothing gets done,we have even got our MP involved and still as i sit in my kitchen i can hear the sinks guggling.It would appear the pump that was installed isnt big enough to take the strain so backs up with heavy rain fall.so dont buy if it has a pump house installed.

soullimbu

Thank you for your time and advice.

I'd love to hear some more views please, from other members before I commit to it.

willyj

Persimmon have a poor record, Charles Church, a trusted name before Persimmon acquired them, is the brand for their upmarket homes.
At the end of the day it is down to the site manager, the back up he is getting from higher up and the time he has got to achieve completion.
A look around the site should give you a clue as to what to expect with the finished product. Is it tidy, are the roads kept clean, the hoarding well built, painted and clean, the sign board up to date on proper timber posts and clean? Is the plant parked tidily after hours, walkways marked and signed, how detailed is the safety notice board? Are skips marked for different types of waste?
You should get a feel of how the job is managed. If there are piles of rubbish accumulating around skips that seem to be dropped randomly around the site, mounds of excavated spoil lying around, signboards and hoarding uncared for and lorries spreading muck up and down the roads it is probably best to walk away.

Chuck Sidfrum

Employ surveyor to check property, ideally at construction stages before ceilings/plasterboard covers up hidden issues.

Especially check floor joist installation. Suggest you have a retention (retainer?) of monies, written into contract, so if/when Charles Church don't resolve warranty issues, you can pay for it to be done privately.

Be aware of difference between Charles Church Actual Build Standards, NHBC Guidelines, & NHBC Technical Standards - they are all different things.

A site manager told me, 'if we built a house to NHBC guidelines it would be a pretty funny looking house'.

I personally would never purchase a Charles Church home, they have ruined the whole experience for us. Lowest specification, poor workmanship, ingnoring suppliers instructions and advice.

Tony

Administrator
It is good advice Chuck and a real possibility if you are having your own house build or are buying from a low volume builder. However, you will struggle to get the mass builders to let you do this. It is not in their interest.

soullimbu

Thanks you all for your advice! We have thought long and hard and have decided to purchase a 4 bed det house in cumnor heights (Charles Church). Fingers crossed that there are no major problems. Apparently the site manager has won few awards
We will be using a snagging inspector (newbuildinspectors) after it is completed (March) to get a professional report on our new build home. I just hope that they would build the house properly.

Tony

Administrator
I don't think an NHBC "Pride in the Job" award is an indicator of quality. I would expect all site managers to have pride in the job - it is a reward for mediocrity. I would hope that they could all get one.

SecretSquirrel

To be honest with any new home you will experience problems. That is just a fact. Persimmon/Charles Church build alot of homes so compared to other companies you will hear more complaints about problems as there are more homes to complain about...

Im sure that many many more people are happy with their homes than unhappy.. but no one ever goes out of their way to express happiness in purchases but more in the negatives.

Ive lived in a persimmon home for 3 years and it is fantastic. Truth.

Chuck Sidfrum

SecretSquirrel - In our first year (trying to get faults fixed) we spoke to over 50 new home owners from Charles Church across multiple estates, not ONE was happy with Charles Church. All had the same structural issue we were concerned with - a problem Charles Church has had since Persimmon ownership back in the 1990's. We also spoke to several Persimmon Homes owners (on some estates the two are side by side with identical house design, just different specifications, e.g. kitchens). We're nearing 5th year now :eek:

However, to give balance, Charles Church claimed 98% customer satisfaction - although never gave any suporting evidence of this. The house builders surveys we were sent for customer satisfaction were somewhat unusual, in that they were surveys within surveys. If you were relatively happy you filled in the first mini survey. If you weren't you got a second seperate and more detailed survey (many months later). I question if these match up together at the final tally.

With a director of Charles Church warning of effects on resale value if you complain too loud, and others in the company warning of repurcusions of complaining - plus ones own common sense of the effect on your home's investments value (should you need to sell/move) - many home owners are scared to let their issues get out in the open. This gives the builder an unfair advantage from the start. I won't go into how the NHBC extends this advantage even further :mad: suffice to say what I discovered after buying from within the industrys' own professionals was a often repeated description of the NHBC as 'useless', and I can now fully see why and how the same problems repeat over and over within the NHBC claims process.

I found three types of owners; 1) Those who didn't know/understand issues with snagging/defects, 2) Those who had issues, but didn't want others to know and said things were ok, 3) Those that had issues and were pushing for works to be done.

Of those with ackowledged issues only a third were proactive in pushing forward - particularly when an honest independent investigation was required to really solve the issue instead of patching over with a builders recommended quick fix. But getting to the truth is very very difficult with any complex issues, and these can be estate wide problems. One issue took 4 years for a plausible solution - however the quieter home owners got something else, only the vocal/knowledgeable owerners got the better fix offered - an investigation within an investigation.

Tony - Bovis built a retainer into our contract on new property about 5 years ago. Although we found Bovis to be very good (room for improvement yes), but miles ahead of Charles Church. With Charles Church it's the attitude, arrogance, denials and lack of professionalism which comes from top down.

WillyJ - whilst I'd fully agree a good site manager would reduce number of issues over a bad one, I have two things to expand on. 1) Charles Church seems to have no concerns reusing a poor site managing, even when they have estate wide complaints regarding prior developments run under that same site manager, 2) Even if the site manager fails in his responsibilities, you'd expect customer services to put things right. We found customer services to be the bigger problem, and that was across the board within the company, and the higher one complains the worse we were treated.

Howesy

Wondering if your Cumnor Hill house purchase worked out well?

HI everyone! I have reserved a plot which is being built at the moment by Charles Church which is part of persimmon homes at Cumnor Hill, Oxford. Since joining this site I have seen huge complaints about the developers and now I am very much worried.

Should I still go ahead with the purchase or should I back off! I am confused Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello, I have been considering buying one of the new Persimmon/Charles Church homes currently being built on Tilbury Lane in Botley, close to your Cumnor Ridge development. I came across this website via Google by chance, and saw your post above. I'd be grateful to know how your house move worked out for you, assuming you have now moved in? Many thanks.

Minnie_888

Hi there,

I would be wary. I have been put off buying from Persimmons due to this forum. I'd be gutted if I went ahead and bought thinking 'it wont happen to me' and it did happen. Especially after the warnings on here.

As suggested by other members on here, if you do go ahead, question everything, don't trust everything the sales rep tells you, get things in writing from them and make sure you have the house professionally snagged BEFORE you sign the legals.

I just heard today that a friend who recently bought a house from the Persimmons development that I was considering buying from are having huge issues. They have had to hire their own roughcaster and electrician to fix things that Persimmons wont!

The sales rep at this particular development was 'lovely' to us and was telling us how the site manager had won awards and that any issues were resolved quickly. Bla, bla, bla!! I am SO relieved I havent bought from there now hearing whats happened to my friend.

Theres a member on here - NewHomeExpert who has a lot of experience in this industry and has a very insightful website, that you should check out.

There are pro's and con's for new builds but Persimmons seem notorious for being really s**t!!!

Howesy

thanks for feedback

Hi there,

I would be wary. I have been put off buying from Persimmons due to this forum. I'd be gutted if I went ahead and bought thinking 'it wont happen to me' and it did happen. Especially after the warnings on here.

As suggested by other members on here, if you do go ahead, question everything, don't trust everything the sales rep tells you, get things in writing from them and make sure you have the house professionally snagged BEFORE you sign the legals.

I just heard today that a friend who recently bought a house from the Persimmons development that I was considering buying from are having huge issues. They have had to hire their own roughcaster and electrician to fix things that Persimmons wont!

The sales rep at this particular development was 'lovely' to us and was telling us how the site manager had won awards and that any issues were resolved quickly. Bla, bla, bla!! I am SO relieved I havent bought from there now hearing whats happened to my friend.

Theres a member on here - NewHomeExpert who has a lot of experience in this industry and has a very insightful website, that you should check out.

There are pro's and con's for new builds but Persimmons seem notorious for being really s**t!!!

Thanks for taking the time to reply Minnie. I must say that I'm getting less keen on the idea of a new build and more inclined to finding a solid older house into which I can put a new kitchen and bathroom instead. When I bought my current house it was only 3 years old and I had no issues at all. I've been here 12 years very happily and that's why I thought it would be nice to move to another newish property, but where I live is a relatively small development and the builder was Bellway, so perhaps that makes a difference over the bigger estates. I'm going to view a village property next week as I've sold my house so a total change of tack for me from city life, but I'm at that age now where I don't need or want hassle :)

Minnie_888

No problem :)

I do still quite like new builds. Although there are some horror stories on here, not all new houses are bad. I think like you say, its likely to be down to who is building the houses. Im considering buying from a smaller, local builder who has had great reviews.

I just think that with so many negative comments about Persimmons I would think twice before going ahead with them.

good luck with whatever you decide!

Lolly

Unhappy Owner

Thank you for your time and advice.

I'd love to hear some more views please, from other members before I commit to it.

If you do go ahead with this purchase please ask for EVERYTHING,and I mean EVERYTHING in writing down to the smallest thing. Double check everything you sign and a real biggy....make sure you have a Long Stop Date on your reservation form.

FYI- if you read the small print on the reverse of your reservation form it will horrify you.

If anyone at the company refuses to put anything in writing then you know they are trying to hide something. We even have the wrong kitchen! Ivory doors with a grey carcass, not what we asked for but it's what we signed for as the Sales Agent told us the colours written on the form we signed were exactly the same specification as the show home (a kitchen that we now know is unavailable to any customer)

master

Hello, I have been considering buying one of the new Persimmon/Charles Church homes currently being built on Tilbury Lane in Botley, close to your Cumnor Ridge development. I came across this website via Google by chance, and saw your post above. I'd be grateful to know how your house move worked out for you, assuming you have now moved in? Many thanks.

Hello, we too are thinking of our purchasing a property at tilbury fields. We have reserved, but since that point our experience has been awful. A number of issues has arisen, one being that in the confirmation letter they tried charging £5k more than the agreed price. They have put in the wrong tiles, the wrong kitchen, tried charging twice for tiles. As a result I have had cold feet and searched for information on Charles Church/Persimmon and I'm very worried about the purchase, as if they can't get the basics correct then I'm unsure about the quality if the build (especially as it is a timber build) and that there is clay under the surface which is impermeable. I'm seriously thinking of pulling out!!

deben1521

persimmons house

Hi Soullimbu,

i have reserved a plot with persimmons. looking at this blog about persimmons house i have got bad feelings. can you please share your experiance with persimmons house ? any advise would be really great.

Many thanks,

Deben

NewHomeExpert

Hi Soullimbu,

i have reserved a plot with persimmons. looking at this blog about persimmons house i have got bad feelings. can you please share your experiance with persimmons house ? any advise would be really great.

Many thanks,

Deben

Be afraid - be very afraid! It is Persimmon homes after all!!!
At least you know what to expect if you are still buying after reading all the warning posts on here.
Your best advice would be to CANCEL the reservation and buy another home and preferably not a new build.

See this Facebook Action Group too!

If you do go ahead and buy Persimmon, don't then come back on here later on moaning and seeking advice on how to get them to fix the defects!