Advice about solar financial loss

New Build Inspections

Dik

Hi all

I would welcome some advice on the following.

I moved into my brand new home in November last year. Whilst registering for the FIT scheme for the pre-fitted solar panels in December 2015, I noticed that the MCS certificate was incorrect.

I immediately requested the developer issue the correct certificate.
I chased and chased with emails and texts over the next 6 months, finally getting the correct certificate in June 16. I immediately applied for FIT via the energy supplier, only to be told that I’d missed the window and the solar panels can never be registered. Thus I will never be eligible for the 20 years of FIT payments (and nor will anyone who buys the property).

I contacted the developer again, and then set about chasing and chasing for a response.
I finally dug out the FIT rates, and did the simple calculations on what I’ve lost over that 20 year payment period and sent this to them.

The developer have now offer to pay 5 years worth of that in line with their warranty period i.e a quarter of the overall loss not including any issues when I come to sell.

That seems ludicrous to me. As far as I can see the overall loss is nothing to do with the warranty period – and by not responding in reasonable time scales they have failed in their duty of care.

Before rejecting their offer and taking it to the next stage, I thought I’d see if anyone had any views on that.

Cheers

Dik

NewHomeExpert

Whilst wrong, I would say that five years being paid by the builder is probably the best result you will get.
The Consumer Code for Home Builders will no doubt come down in your favour but the amount awarded may well be even less.

At the end of the day, you get free elecetricity and this will be a selling point when the time comes.
You may have a case against your solicitor as he should have checked the FIT certification at the time of legal completion.
Perhapos he will settle to opay the other 15 years lost FIT?