A good experience - Bishops Walk, Old Sarum, Salisbury

New Build Inspections

sombrio

I did look at this forum in quite some depth before we decided to buy a Persimmon home and to be honest I'm quite glad I didn't take some of the more extreme advice to heart. Our experience has been really positive and I wanted to share it for those thinking of doing the same.

Ok, as a downside, I did find the unneccessary pressure to use their 'recommended' solicitors and mortgage advisors a bit tiresome, it certainly added to my wife's stress - it could have been because we were first time buyers and they thought we were born yesterday.

However, the process after exchange has been really great. We arranged to visit several times, the site manager was always helpful and available when we wanted him, and they even finished it early than we expected.

In terms of snagging, there were a few things that were off, a door needed replacing, they'd forgotten our outside tap, and there were some cosmetic things like light bulbs blown and marks on walls and woodwork but they were all sorted before we moved in (4 days later).

We've been in the house a fortnight now and are really very impressed with how they've built the place and the standard of it. There have been a few things we've noticed but again the site manager has had someone straight out to fix it almost the next day.

Ok, I'll admit there might be some awful structural cock up that we haven't noticed but I'll be sure to re-post if there is.

Perhaps we are one of the lucky few, or maybe people don't bother to post on the internet about a good experience. Nonetheless, I hope this is useful to someone.

And no, I'm not a Persimmon employee trolling the forum!!

Reactions: das

NewHomeExpert

First time buyers buying Persimmon after reading the reviews on here?
Not having the home professionally snagged?
You are only happy because you dont realise yet how bad your home is!
Dont take my word for it, watch BBC Watchdog tonight!
Yep its about Persimmon Britain's worst national housebuilder by a country mile!
3 star rated too!

sombrio

First time buyers buying Persimmon after reading the reviews on here?
Not having the home professionally snagged?
You are only happy because you dont realise yet how bad your home is!
Dont take my word for it, watch BBC Watchdog tonight!
Yep its about Persimmon Britain's worst national housebuilder by a country mile!
3 star rated too!

I'm not really interested in defending Persimmon as a company. I'm sure lots of people do, unfortunately, have a horrible experience. Just thought I'd give my account as a recent buyer.

With respect to professional snagging, do I sense a vested interest?

Hunty

Sombrio it's good that you decided to tell of a good experience but don't expect a positive response on here. I did the same about a year ago after being in our taylor wimpey house for 6 months and was accused of working for them, and wait and see in about another 6 months you'll have big problems etc. We have been in 18 months now and all is well and we love our house along with our neighbours and other residents we speak to.

Glad you like your persimmon house and hope you continue to enjoy it.

NewHomeExpert

With respect to professional snagging, do I sense a vested interest?

No, I don't do Professional Snagging Inspections but I always suggest buyers have one, as most of the time, no care is taken building Britain's new homes.
If people choose not to have their largest ever purchase independently checked and inspected by someone who know what they are looking at and knows all the regulations and standards it is no skin off my nose!

ndh

No, I don't do Professional Snagging Inspections but I always suggest buyers have one, as most of the time, no care is taken building Britain's new homes.
If people choose not to have their largest ever purchase independently checked and inspected by someone who know what they are looking at and knows all the regulations and standards it is no skin off my nose!

NWE - Don't you have some incredibly poor website to be running? I thought you said you were "done with this snagging forum" - Or once you realised the lack of traffic you get, decided to come crawling back?

With regards to the original post - It's great to hear. I haven't seen a single new home builder get a good reputation. Everyone moans and moans about the bad, yet no one sings about the good.

We've also had a great experience with Persimmon, and whilst some of their policies/staff could do with a kick up the backside, overall, it's been good.

Keep us posted on how you get on 6 months down the line!

Frankbough

Another Persimmon employee! The levels they will sink to. Just concentrate on building homes that aren't riddled with serious faults and employ more than one buffoon in customer services x