5 bed detached problem

New Build Inspections

mjc1973

Hello, i purchaced a new 5 bed property last June, everything great, not a problem with the house(believe it or not) ,then came the winter, after spending nearly £1150 for two quarters in gas bills , i cannott get the house warm, ive contacted my house builder by means of a wriiten letter, i had a very quick reply and they sent out there own plumbers to check wether the correct spec of heating was put in, of course they said everything was ok, Im now thinking if the spec is ok, maybee ive got a problem with the insualtion? when i turn the heating off the temp drops immeadiatly,Is there a possibility that the cavity insulation could be missed out? ive got a section on the side of my house with 6 bricks that have been cut out and put back in, (the mortar isslightly a different colour and bricks not 100% aligned) im thinnking has someone came along to check?? what other reason is there to take bricks out the external wall?? or could it be poor upvc windows, i have no drafts any were else. the boiler just goes on and on and on, cant even reach 21 to shut off on the thermostat, im loosing heat somewhere, cant work it out, im not going through another winter again, im seriously thinking about renting a two bed flat for 5 months over the winter, but paying over £360k for a house why should i, many thanks in advance for your replies and thoughts

mjc1973

Took out vent panels in various part of the house,iinsulation found in all four walls.so is either the windows or radiators too small.

CoolBeanz

Hmm. You really need to work out where the heat is leaking.

Try checking:
Gaps behind radiators? Where the pipe goes in the wall.
Windows, gaps - also air vents if any
loft insulation - including loft hatch?

You could also try drilling some holes, maybe in the loft, and using a boroscope to look in the walls? You can get one off ebay for £40.

mjc1973

ive got loads of insulation in the loftabout 8", loft hatch too is covered,no gaps behind rads, ive got air vents in the windows ,but i shut them in winter, there is air vent in the bathrooms, (extraction) but i keep the batthroom door s shut.

SimpleStu

Hi MJC,
Bad luck on this one, If you suspect the walls aren't filled properly, get a builder in to drill a small hole through and see what comes out.
the loft is a place to check- maybe not insulated properly or holes between walls and roof.