4yrs Later Major Problem Come To Light!

Discussion in 'Bryant Homes' started by laghreid, Feb 15, 2009.

1. laghreid

laghreid New Member

We bought our house from Brayant Homes in April 05.
    We had many problems with Heating Panels falling off walls and Holes under doors, windows ect ect that they never bothered to fix properly.
    Also our shower was fitted incorrectly as was constantly on hot... they decided to bodge instead of replacing it..
    Now we have had about 4/5 different leaks on the ceiling from where the shower is in the en-suite... A plumber came round and could not work out where it was coming from... He decided to knock a hole in the wall where the back of the shower is only to discover that the whole wall in covered in Mushrooms and Mould... plaster board.. back wall, floor, ceiling and side wall where stairs is is now infected....
    They have never fitted the shower right in the first place and pipe burst and has been causeing a problem for the past 4yrs... its caused so much damage that we now have to have the whole bathroom ripped out and treated for fungi.. Luckily our house insurance will cover it but why should it considering that Bryant Homes are the cause of this...And their shoddy work...

So really snagging propertys is ok... but what you cant see to snag might cause you problems in the future

#1 laghreid, Feb 15, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  2. GKandR4CH

GKandR4CH New Member

Sorry to hear you are having problems with these cowboys.
    We have had 7 leaks to date even down to ripping out the bath completely and replacing it with a new one at my own cost. I still have not been compensated.
    Unfortunately Bryant Homes do not build houses of quality.
    They bodge. The sub contractors bodge everything and then Bryant Homes deny everything.
    Have a look at my website.
    mybryanthomeiscrap.co.uk
    If I can help you in anyway regarding advice on legal issues (as I am now there) then pm or email me.

GK

3. Gzmo

Gzmo New Member

Here in Northampton - every neighbour I know has had at least one leak - I have 4 and still 9 months on they are delaying paying me what it is they owe me - I was even advised by the Site Manager to plug in wet electrical items - guess he thought being blonde and female hopefully I would go zap and then they would not have to pay

I suggest you contact Greg at www.mybryanthomesisshit.co.uk as he is looking for others to take them to court and his solicitor will act for FREE - good luck

4. GKandR4CH

GKandR4CH New Member

Any news with this case?

5. sazzy1

sazzy1 New Member

subsidence

Hello to you all!!

Its just awful these cowboys get away with all this.. This is peoples homes, we have had towel and soap racks fall off, two leaks from the en-suite dripping into to our living room, toilet roll holders falling off and the list grows, but to top it all we have just discovered we have subsidence!! and the property is only 5 years old!. This is all due to a crab apple tree planted by the developers when the house was built, there is also some concern over the foundations. It really angers me that Taylor Wimpey are just not interested, they are going to underpin, but the problems for us dont end there our home insurnce and excess will increse, major works being carried out (we re a family of 5) issues trying to sell the property after!!

Anyone have any advice.. I would be so grateful!!

6. Chris The Fox

Chris The Fox New Member

I have a Bryant home in East Kilbride which we are very pleased with on the whole however after suffering a mild mice problem I have found that the mice have simple and plentiful access into my cavity walls as we have little in the way of foundations to the front (south) face of my house. There appears for the most part to be a 65mm concrete lintel under the facing brick with the facing brick reaching one and a half course below ground level. then under this concrete ...
    ... nothing, zip, nada, nowt, zero.

On a third small pit under my bay window i have discovered that my facing brick is at similar depth, two course brick below ground max., then is resting on what appears to be a light grey pourous block. This has been suggested as being a 'thermolite' block which is easliy breakable by hand and is not load bearing, plus there is a small gap between blocks which a garden cane/metal rod can freefall into some 550mm without obstruction.

So what is under my bay? and what is there actually holding up my house?

To the rear I have discovered again no scarcement but rather the brick is flush with a light grey material similar to that of the thermolite and is easliy scored by spade and indeed finger nails. Look like hard packed butter, which the exception of being grey!

Mr & Mrs Mouse and family have free access into my exposed cavity wall at any point.
    Contacted NHBC who said on phone as no cracks (yet) then not interested and to phone them back when have cracks.

Not satisfied with this I have made contact again getting a reference number and have emailed little over two dozen photos of my small trial pits exposing the problem.

Waited twelve working days and have contaced them again via email yesterday (Sunday) stating that I understood from many commentators on NHBC that in order to make them sit up an take note I require to go legal and or the Media/BBC/Channel 4, although as I was a patient type I wanted them to have the opportunity to reply BEFORE I went to such a length.
    They have telephoned this morning at 11:07 stating that my claim is being looked at by an investigator and they shall be in touch, although unsure when.

Additionally, I have contacted Bryant (Taylor Wimpey) speaking to the MD in West Scotland, Willie Burns, who does not really believe my problems as seems that my house should have fallen down already (agree with him actually, although facts are contradictory) however he very kindly suggested that should it be a 'Structural Issue' then they are responsible and thus shall organise for an inspection.

Waiting...

#6 Chris The Fox, Oct 25, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  7. Chris The Fox

Chris The Fox New Member

Bryant Homes Foundation Issues. 4 Year Old House.

Since my last Blog today, I am happy to inform all who read this that Alana from the NHBC has again responded replying to our earlier converstaion today on the 'phone and has stated that she is registering my claim with John Clydesdale an NHBC Claims Investigator who is currently on annual leave thus the required 'respond within fiive wortking days' may extent somewhat.

I am quire delighted to have had a response to a clear emailed intent on my behalf sent yesterday to NHBC noting their 'oversight' in not responding within the allocated time frame and that should they appear to me to be as problematic as many commentators claim then we would be forced to involve the Media, BBC etc., which would undoubtedly be inadvisable.

So, wait now to see what they say on this future visit and too await the investigator of Brayant and promised.

Until next time...

8. Chris The Fox

Chris The Fox New Member

Foundation Issues

Todays blog:

Got telephoned from Bryant to say that a Mr Lyons will be in my development on other business tomorrow, Wednesday 27th October and shall pop in, if suitable, to see problems at 3pm.

Wonderful!

Additionally, a very nice Mr Clydesdale from the NHBC has telephoned (twice) to speak to me to arrange for a visit at his earliest date of Tuesdau 9th November at 10am.

He will write to confirm appointment he says.

Wonderful squared!

Will keep note of what occurs.

Another dead mouse today I am afraid, poor little begger.

Brings death toll to five.

How many more innocent little lives will be lost before my foundation and wide open cavity wall is mended!?

9. Structural Assistance

Nhbc

If you do your Homework NHBC are very nice, they publish all the standards their approved houses should be built to.

Your problem is proving that the house isnt build to spec.

Once you prove that, life will be easier. For that you will need an independant report.

Try theexpertengineer.co.uk

Goodluck.

10. Chris The Fox

Chris The Fox New Member

Founds Problem, Visit of Bryant 27 October 2010

Many thanks for reply, will consider my options but wish at present to give Builder (Bryant/Taylor Wimpey) the chance along with NHBC to come up with a solution.

Today, 3 pm as suggested two individuals came from 'Wimpey' to view issue and looked first at Bay window, confirming that it was indeed built (facing brick) onto thermolite block which one, Chris, suggested had a kilonewton compression of around 7(kN). Fellow 2, The Brickie, when asked why i can simply drop a rod through the thermolite block some 500mm or more stated that these blocks would be on my found and that my found would be deeper. He could no explain as the blocks were not 500mm deep each and should interlap why the rod should free fall into a void. Unless they were to dig down properly they could not know for certain.

On viewing my non-found / mice entrance foyer, they could not offer an reasonable explanation other than the actual builder (they both assured me that they were not actually involved on this site at the time) may have made a mess of it and has spanned a 'service hole' with the 65mm lintel and not filled in the gap but rather simpley back filled with earth and builders rubble/rubbish and walked away.

The third pit to be veiwed is to the rear corner of the house where I have uncovered a couple of course of brick below ground as elsewhere, then a softish light grey material which can be scored with a spade and indeed with your finger nail. This said Fellow 2, The Brickie was the same thermolite block (7kN strength) which was probably on top of my actual foundation deeper and so far unseen. however as this block is holding up ground and first floor of gable wall surely that weight would be more than the suggested capability of the block?. No answer.

Fellow 1, Chris, assures me that it is the responsibility of the NHBC and that he may well come out with the investigator a week tuesday.

In short, 'there is a problem but we are not really able or willing to suggest anything beyond that as to how large this problem may be' si pretty much what they are saying.

11. Structural Assistance

Dear Chris

Dear Chris

With their feedback you cannot loose.

Now it depends on what you what to achieve?

Think about this carefully before answering.

Feel free to PM me. You have the upper hand here.

12. Chris The Fox

Chris The Fox New Member

Concerns about Founds

Dear Structural Assistance,

In a word: Sorted.

Longer version: I want my house to be compliant with the understanding of what it was purchased as, i.e fully compliant with ALL completion certifications, NHBC Certifications et al., and FULL assurance from relevant bodies/companies that there shall be no long term recurrance or damage to my home, which they can guarrantee! Legally! In writing!

The above requires to be confirmed by an independant structural surveyor at NO cost to me.

In addition, when this is achieved, or during the achieving, I require my internal cavity walls to be completely checked for damage to insulation (or as we suspect: no insulation) and damage to any pipes caused by the free access the builder has allowed for Mr & Mrs Mouse and family and friends.

I do not want to have a ceiling collapse due to burst pipes which has been knawed through as suffered by people we know in Kirkcaldy recently.

Lastly, I wish to have some compensation for the effort and time and expense of seeking to have the above carried out.

Thanks.

C

13. Structural Assistance

Mickey & Minnee

Dear Chris

If you email me I can forward to you the NHBC guide to Brick & Blockwork.
    And the guide to substructure. Page 21 covers your problem.

In summary the builder & his mate/employee came round, admitted a few faults, & left.
    Who do they work for?
    Where do their loyalties lie?

You have a right to have a house that is built to purpose.
    It is accepted that there will be minor defects, but anything major you will be covered for.
    Any court covers you for your out of pocket expenses. Ie returning you to the position you were in if nothing had happened.

However no expert can legally work without agreed payment (no win no fee is not allowed). This is reclaimable from the builder/NHBC if they accept liability.

Good luck

14. Chris The Fox

Chris The Fox New Member

Dear All,

Tuesday this week, 9th November the representative from NHBC, Mr John Clydesdale came to see my home at 10 o'clock as promised, and at the same time two persons from the builder also appeared.

They had a good look at my house, inspecting the areas I have uncovered for them, and to give Mr Clydesdale his due he dug a little more out and got down to inspect closely, getting his hands very dirty and having a good root around inside the exposed cavity wall.

The two representatives from Bryant (Taylor Wimpey) said little. Although when I quoted a builder as previously mentioned saying " that a new house is a completely sealed unit, mice should only get in if you coax them in through the back door with cheese". one, a lady, mentioned that 'mice can get in anywhere'.

I tend to agree within limits, pointing out that the exposed cavity my home has a Badger would be able to access!

Mr Clydesdale is now deliberating and forming a report.

Wait and see.

15. Chris The Fox

Chris The Fox New Member

Have now received letter from NHBC, Mr John Clydesdale stating that there is 'no actual physical damage' to my property so the HNBC are not responsible to make good the two or three large holes in my cavity walls.
    I have been advised by Structural Engineer friends to seek the report wihich Mr clydesdale will have completed, so this morning I telephone and speak to Mr Clydesdale asking for this report. He informs me that the short letter I have received IS his report and that there is nothing the HNBC can do as they are not responsible. Who is then, I ask. He syas the Builder.
    I ask how a foundation can be exposed as mine is to the degree mine is whereby he can not only see in but can put hs hand and part of his arm inside the cavity wall and still state that there is NO structural issue?
    No Actual Damage! he says, until there is cracking caused by the lack of founds they are NOT responsible.
    Fifteen minutes later I get phone call from NHBC (A female, did not get name, sorry) who syas she is calling as Mr Clydesdale has requested she call me. She explains again what Mr C has stated and is a pains to assure me that I am not to feel abandoned as HNBC is there to protect the housholder should there be Structural Damage as a consequence of poor building practice.
    This appears to rub my nose in it!

I phone the builder, Taylor Wimpey speaking to Customer Services, Nicola Spencer (Who is the lady who was present during Mr Clydesdale visit and who had a long converstaion with at the end of my driveway). Nicola was surprised that the NHBC should have suggested that they, the builder should be responsible to make good any supposed issue as she thought the NHBC would be and that she would "speak to John about his take on it".
    She could see no problem with how my house is erected, although is going to check archive drawings to see if founds are in accordance with the Structural Engineers drawing.
    I am seeking advice from Citizens Advice, Trading Standards, the BBC 'Rogue Traders' series and Watchdog among others and have advised above HNBC that they may receive calls from researchers of these programmes.

I would like to email 'Structural Assitance' but unfortunatley do not know how to if you can let me know.

Regards

CTF

16. Chris The Fox

Chris The Fox New Member

Structural Assistance.

Glad of any help you can offer, if wish photographs I can send (resized to be small).

Cant seem to send PM to you at present, not allowed (?)

Regards

Chris

17. Chris The Fox

Chris The Fox New Member

Ahhh,

Need 15 posts first.

So will build up.

Asked my local Building Control to dig our 'Structural Engineers Drawings' for my foundations and house, which they are doing and will get back to me.

A Building Surveyor dealt with states that i require to be sure of my facts, dig bigger pits to expose exactly wwhat my problem is and confirm thay ther are indeed contrary to those passed on the Structural Engineers report for the build then contact NHBC again stating that I wish to disagree with their findings and go to Arbitration.

So....

18. Structural Assistance

Oh dear, heard this before.

Dear Chris

My web site dealing specifically with insurance based issues will hopefully be up & going this week.

Feel free to email me direct, for you mice@whatdoi.do

Do not phone NHBC, email everything, you need a paper trail. Or follow any call with an email.

I will happily send you over the NHBC guildline, this will assist you in the knowledge as to weather you have a case

19. Chris The Fox

Chris The Fox New Member

Regarding yesterdays notes:

Spoken to client this morning, Architect, who also suggests I get accurate description of the 'thermolite' style block onto which it seems my house, or part at least, of my house rests.

This is not a concrete block, as is porous (looks like cadbury's crunchie, except light grey) and can be easliy scored with finger nail and chipped with spade. Indeed a bit broke off and was quite easily broken/crumbled by fingers!

There is blocks of this under my bay window to the from forming a scarecement below the facing brick but where if it were block there would be a mortar gap FILLED with mortar, there is just a gap.

Into this gap I can drop a 10mm diameter metal rod which free falls 500mm at around 45 degrees in the direction of my dining room into a void.

This was seen, demonstrated and photographed by Mr Clydesdale of HNBC and too 'Chris' from Taylor Wimpey.

It would seem that in principle should a builder construct a partial foundation, say forexample he uses the designs from the Romans and creates a 'viaduct' effect under the facing brick of a house which does the job of weight bearing and thus NO structural damage is evident, but he has NOT built in accordance with structural engineers and NHBC guidelines and leaves most of the cavity wall exposed below the house, only covered by minimal earth, that the NHBC do NOT cover for this defect, or indeed ANY defect, only the damage caused by the defect.

Defect but No damage = no claim.

Can I have any comments please?

20. Chris The Fox

Chris The Fox New Member

Contacted Trading Standards this week regarding the defects to my house.

Initially the lady on the phone stated that I had come to the right place and to email her with the details of my complaint and that she would explain it to her manager.

However before I could send the email she had teleponed back to say that Trading Standards could NOT help as was a 'Heritable Property'.

Another bad turn!

Been in contact twice with Citizens Advice who operate an answering service on thee days I call and I have to actually call in to Beareux to be seen but when I do theer is no order, no structure to what you see or are faced with , but rather you sit in a waiting room like a vets or dentists and are expected to wait your turn. Most parculiar. Not very professional. Will perservere.

I seems to me that all authorities which seem to offer support, NHBC, Trading Standards, Citizens Advice make it particuilarly difficult for the consumer to actually get any assistance at all.

Chris