Search results

New Build Inspections
  1. T

Persimmon Homes

Now this is the point that we're trying to highlight here! If everybody viewed & walked away the builder would need to take heed! You wouldn't buy a car knowing it was stacked with problem's, so why buy a house with the same conditions? there's no trump cards to pull as the builder holds most...
  2. T

Missing Window

Unfortunately, Drawings or draughts are exactly that, just drawings. as Tony from above say's 'please all you real human beings out there, a house is constructed by human beings, who sometimes make MISTAKES !!!! ' This also includes the architects, surveyors, engineers etc etc, the drawings are...
  3. T

Persimmon Homes Noisy Floors

Hi Nick, it could solve the problem and it's certainly worth a try! Lift the carpet & underlay, You must establish the directions of the joist, usually front to back direction, you must also locate each individual joist, pipes or cable's that could be affected! Chalk line the joist centre's...
  4. T

Solicitors?

I would never personaly use a solicitor the developer recommends! I dont believe that they would work to your interest if things were to go slightly wrong! They obviously take on a lot of referals from the developer and would not want to lose the business! They would make ?200k from the...
  5. T

Persimmon Homes Noisy Floors

, Hi Nick, I can hazard a guess here to what noise you're hearing when there's other's walking around the first floor. You're either hearing the flooring making contact on the joist's when walked upon, or a amplified effect from the void between the ceiling and upstair's floor! Your flooring...
  6. T

Best developers to buy from!

Ok, we accept that people need to buy new home's, we also accept that our banter about buying a new home wont work either! So, I'll put myself into a new home buyer's position with the added benefit of my knowledge within the new build industry! To start with, i'd want to talk with the guy...
  7. T

Persimmon Homes

Sorry to hear that Farnell, Unfortunatly, it's the same story all over! If you knew then what you know now, what you still have gone ahead with the purchase?
  8. T

Persimmon Homes

For a new buyer to walk into a new home and be expected to snag is impossible! After the removal men have finished, the sale's or site manager will be at the door with the handover documents! the purchaser's are in a mixed state of exhaustion and excitment! They will sign anything! It can take...
  9. T

Only as you go snagging will do, not at the end!

Yosser, You seem to be missing the point! This site wont change methods within the building industry, nor will the developers build better home's because of this web site! The NHBC isn't there for the customer, it's there for the banks that lend money! Mortgage's are quite hard to secure...
  10. T

Retentions

Very true Tony, A new face on a site is a worrying concern, Health & Safety is a major factor in refusing entry. Just so happen's i've all my safety,cscs,cis,hard hat, boots and as for there excuse's, i already now most of them, i probably invented them all! :wink:
  11. T

Retentions

You can certainly try your luck! Although you will certainly have a challenge on your hand's getting them to agree! It might even pay you at this stage to get your own independant surveyor or snagger to snag every stage throughout it's construction! This would eliminate all problem's...
  12. T

WHERE IS THE TRADE DESCRIPTIONS ACT?

That must have been a one off! The sales homes are the offices of the sale's team's! This is were they get there teeth into you! If these building's are in a bad way then that is the time to retreat away and run! If you look carefully, some of these show home's ceiling's have a scim coat of...
  13. T

Finishing??

Wimpy Homes use the drywall method for finishing! This method is used throughout the building industry by all builder's! The wall's & ceiling's Are indeed plasterboard, the joints are flushed out ready for direct decoration! It's a method called tape & joint! This system is a fast, quick...
  14. T

The road outside our home.

If everybody from that development complained to there local council, demanding a reduction in council tax, i'd bet the road would certainly get completed sooner!
  15. T

WHERE IS THE TRADE DESCRIPTIONS ACT?

Yes, The show house is alway's the one to buy! It's the only one that get's a meticulous snag from the site managers, sale's & sometimes even the directors themselves! Your downstair's cupboard, is it under the stair's ? Has your home got a standard straight staircase or what's called a...
  16. T

The road outside our home.

Dont worry, they will get completed. Just check that there's no more developments in the area that are due to start. They wouldn't lay the top coat if artic's & dump trucks will be using that route! My guess will be that it'll be completed in the hot summer months! This is normal.
  17. T

Rialto Homes

Right ok, If you're serious about buying this property you're probably in a better position than the original purchaser's. The crack on the side of the stairs depends what sort of crack and where on the stringer the crack is evident! Is the crack between the wall & the stairs or an inch or...
  18. T

Rialto Homes

My first piece of advice would be, dont touch it with a barge pole! Second piece of advice would be, go find a house at least thirty year's old that's either been brought upto date or in need of modernising! Go for the old build with solid plaster walls and proper thick roof trusses! Best...
  19. T

CRACKING TO ROUGHCASTING

Ok, i'm still non the wiser to what this rou gh casting is! But the answer will be roughly the same. It may be a sand cement based render with either a covering or a modern k-rend, monocouche or simular. This is one off the hardest area's to repair without it being noticable! A good finish is...
  20. T

CRACKING TO ROUGHCASTING

Would you be more specific in your description to crack's in rough casting! I guess you mean your external render/k-rend/highbuild etc. If you can post some more details or even get a photo of the defects & then i will either explain why they wont or cant repair the problem or guide you onto...