Next steps? Build issue with house

New Build Inspections

dgr22

I have a three year old house. We reviewed the plans and the house was built with a conservatory next to an external garden wall. The gap between the wall and the conservatory glass is about a foot but with the external window sill on the conservatory reduces to about 8 inches. Just the right size to get a small child in and the only way to get them out would be take down the garden wall. The plans do show this but the builder has admitted a build issue and over the past 2 years we have tried to resolve this collaboratively but the builder now seems to have gone quiet. We are so worried that we have offered to take the conservatory down for some compensation. Add to this that if the conservatory glass breaks then the wall would also have to come down to do a repair.

What are my options? It looks like NHBC wouldn't do anything (after a cursory read of the warranty) so is the legal route the only one open to me?

dgr22

I didn't get any replies on here but I have been advised I may be able to tackle this under Construction Design and Management (CDM) and need to get my solicitor on the case.

Anybody got any experience of going down this route?

GKandR4CH

The NHBC are very good at not doing anything as we have found out. Have a very good read through the paperwork they gave you.
They are bound to assist the homeowner.
Failing that take them to Court like I am doing.
Remember the NHBC are even bigger Cowboys than the housing developer and are only interested in doing - nothing.
And remember www.mybryanthomeiscrap.co.uk

Last edited:

simon seaton

I would get a solicitor on the case and ask them to write to NHBC and the builder. Receiving a letter form a lawyer will undoubtedly get their attention.