Help with Ground / Foundations level in comparison with others

New Build Inspections

cherryblossom

Hi

Looking for advice on whether plans are made for the levels of foundations and height of houses prior to build?
We've moved in to a new build before the second phase of houses behind us were put up a few months later. Now that they are built we've noticed the ground level of both ours and the ones behind is totally different meaning their garden is a good 1m at least, higher than ours. Their foundations are obviously also much higher. Our garden is completely flat all the way to our back fence. So to try and make it work the builder has made the garden behind us 70% flat from their back door then a sheer slope at the back of their garden to meet the level of ours. They've then angled the fences the same. Our garden is permanently saturated when it rains as its the lowest ground in the area. We also now have no privacy at the back whatsoever. Downstairs windows and patio doors look directly into ours. When builders are stood in that garden or kitchen their heads and bodies tower way above our back fence and they turn around or look away because it's awkward looking into someones property. Can imagine how we feel about having to live with it permanently. Our other concern is the end 30% of the neighbours garden is going to be useless, and potentially they could decide to fill it in with soil if they arent clued up, which would leave our fence unable to hold the ground weight or make it rot and we're responsible for it.

Is this right? Should they not have built a retaining wall and fence on top? We cant raise our fence higher without applying for planning permission and dont feel we should have to because of their poor planning and trying to just do the easiest option for themselves. We are at our wits end with things they have done with no care or thought for people living in these houses now and really want to know where we stand. Thank you in advance for any help or advice (terrible diagram sorry)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220916-144534_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220916-144534_Gallery.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20220916-144451_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220916-144451_Gallery.jpg
    816.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20220916-144441_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220916-144441_Gallery.jpg
    820.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20220916-144410_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220916-144410_Gallery.jpg
    825.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20220916-144341_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220916-144341_Gallery.jpg
    527.6 KB · Views: 2
pic one ....the ground level compared to dpc is correct ...but its clear you have some general drainage issues around the house and gardens

its not unusual for new homes to affect your drainage as water courses get altered

it looks like you need some land drains installing .....speak to your builder

there no requirement to build a retaining wall ...and even if they did it may not have helped your drainage situation

other common problems are heavily compacted ground or ground with little topsoil and clay underneath

cherryblossom

pic one ....the ground level compared to dpc is correct ...but its clear you have some general drainage issues around the house and gardens

its not unusual for new homes to affect your drainage as water courses get altered

it looks like you need some land drains installing .....speak to your builder

there no requirement to build a retaining wall ...and even if they did it may not have helped your drainage situation

other common problems are heavily compacted ground or ground with little topsoil and clay underneath
Thank you. Yes no concerns about the dpc. The garden has had a land drain fitted but it has made no difference. In fact its possibly worse. We did uncover part of it to add more flags and the company laying the flags realised the land drain was on the wrong angle so water was flowing towards the garden not away, and pooling around one of the open ends in our garden. Potentially every arm of it in our garden does the same.
Both gardens either side of us are fine and not waterlogged.

The retaining wall I mentioned was more for the fact we have no privacy. Hence why I asked if there should have been a higher fence or retaining wall and fence from the much higher garden behind. Downstairs living spaces windows and patios look directly into the downstairs living space of the house behind even with a 6ft fence. We were not warned about it prior to buying, houses went up after reserving, and have to say we've never seen that before in a new estate anywhere! Upstairs bedrooms you expect. Downstairs main Iiving spaces no.

Not only that when someone stands in that garden their head is about 2-3feet above the 6ft fence. There should only be a 50cm difference in the Finished floor levels of the two houses so we did not expect it to be like this and concerned something isn't at the planned height. So I'll see if anyone else can answer my original question of planned house heights prior to build...Is there an amount of tolerance allowed in the planned FFL of neighbouring houses?

Thanks

cherryblossom

Diagram attached to shoe difference in ground height. Ours being lower garden.

FFL of two should be 62.45 vs 63.00 on plans

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220919_133949.jpg
    Screenshot_20220919_133949.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 2
I see what youre saying

some sites have restrictions on how high the fencing can be

if you dont have that you could perhaps add to height of the fence ...depending again on who owns that boundary ....if you dont own it .....then youre into putting up your own fence ..in front of thiers

from the lower level they tend to look like a huge wall of flatness

ive seen some use what i call fly swatters .....they are huge stakes with square lattices on top interwoven with some form of creeper

theres no real solution , only compromises i am afraid

cherryblossom

I see what youre saying

some sites have restrictions on how high the fencing can be

if you dont have that you could perhaps add to height of the fence ...depending again on who owns that boundary ....if you dont own it .....then youre into putting up your own fence ..in front of thiers

from the lower level they tend to look like a huge wall of flatness

ive seen some use what i call fly swatters .....they are huge stakes with square lattices on top interwoven with some form of creeper

theres no real solution , only compromises i am afraid
Just disappointed as they only went up after we completed so it feels like we were mis-sold the property by not being warned of the difference in height at all.

It's our fence on the deeds, we are responsible for it but with it already being a 6ft fence we can't go much higher without planning permission (not even trellis), only a few inches. I'm sure the people moving into that property will feel the same and be disappointed