Recent content by Hopeful

New Build Inspections
  1. H

Flooding Garden

'I would be tempted to get the stagnant water checked out by the Environmental Health people from the local council. If it smells, it could be coming from the drains. The land drains should help, but the soil may still be of a poor quality. Ideally you want 100mm topsoil, not compacted...
  2. H

Flooding Garden

Well Tonyw Here you are again dishing out advice. Yet did I not read somewhere that you have bought many newbuilds and did not have all this bother? So how come you know so much about what everyone else should be doing? I can tell you from experience that the developer will not give you...
  3. H

Best developers to buy from!

I think we should have a sweep stake to see if we can guess which national building developer is employing Tonyw
  4. H

New houses

Tonyw What a load of piffle you do spout!! Firstly, your romantic ideas that every inch of a house is loving built by human hands is not correct. A great deal of a modern house (stock building which we all mostly buy) is pre-constructed, treated and painted units produced by machines off...
  5. H

BBC Having a New Build Nightmare?

Totally disagree with everything you have said tonyw. Firstly developers do care about adverse publicity and it can help resolve issues PDQ. Also when the faults have been put right properly and professionally (i.e. not papered over by Bodge-It and Fix-It DIY teams) you have the house you paid...
  6. H

BBC Having a New Build Nightmare?

Totally disagree with everything you have said tonyw. Firstly developers do care about adverse publicity and it can help resolve issues PDQ. Also when the faults have been put right properly and professionally (i.e. not papered over by Bodge-It and Fix-It DIY teams) you have the house you paid...
  7. H

David Wilson Homes

Be prepared for a long wait. We are still trying to get closure on some of our issues after nearly 3 years. Others on the same estate are being mucked around still and it is painful to watch. Methinks it is time for some more national publicity. DWH are sliding backwards into 'bodge it and...
  8. H

New houses

Whilst I agree with tonyw that there are some unscrupulous purchasers out there whose sole purpose is to make money out of the poor developer, it remains a fact that the majority of cases are genuine. Most of the problems would disappear if developers took more responsibility at the build stage...
  9. H

New houses

Whilst I agree with tonyw that there are some unscrupulous purchasers out there whose sole purpose is to make money out of the poor developer, it remains a fact that the majority of cases are genuine. Most of the problems would disappear if developers took more responsibility at the build stage...
  10. H

Cracks

If your house is render over block work and it is cracking ask whether bed joint reinforcement has been included in the blockwork. Best building practice says it should be and most render manufacturers stipulate it as a pre-requisite. It took 2.5years but eventually our developer admitted that...
  11. H

New build property ? insulation & heating advice

You can have a thermal imaging survey done. Costs about ?500. It shows quite clearly where insulation is missing. Quite a powerful report to put before the developer and NHBC. If the report shows that poor insulation is the cause you should be able to recover the cost of the survey from the...