Show home snagging

New Build Inspections

tombraider1

Hi
Ive bought the showhome and am due for my demonstration meeting next week. Ive been told I will get the opportunity to view any issues with the house but as its the showhome, they will not paint / repair etc the more typical things one would expect when purchasing a new home. Apparently a list has already gone from the saleswoman to the builder to take care of all the issues as she sees it - total list consists of a radiator on the piste and a sticking kitchen door and that's it. The sink is scratched badly after 2 years of sales people's use, marks on the walls, locks sticking etc and that's without me looking for faults in particular. Question is surely the same rules apply to a showhome - I am buying a new home after all. Any advice most appreciated.

NewHomeExpert

Check this article I have written:
The advantages and disadvantages of buying a show home

The same rules do apply, unless of course you have bagged a bargain and it has been sold as seen.
even then snagging should apply. Why should you put up with a scratched sink in a new home?
Ask about the warranty too, it may be less than 10 years and the boiler etc will be part worn too.
Condensing boilers normally only last 5 years anyway.

Oh and since when was a sales lady a building expert?
Get the home professionally snagged.

Fenman48

Well worth checking your contract. I cannot see it being any different from others. I know it is boring and most of us feel we do not understand them. However they are readable if you take your time. If all is on your side then make sure you go into writing to the head office. Never and I mean never handle this verbally or face to face or by telephone. There is no record and you are usually dealing with people who know nothing and don't want to do anything. I would always use your own solicitor and because of the money involved ask their opinion on the verbal verses signed contract.

Pepsimiddleton

Hi
Ive bought the showhome and am due for my demonstration meeting next week. Ive been told I will get the opportunity to view any issues with the house but as its the showhome, they will not paint / repair etc the more typical things one would expect when purchasing a new home. Apparently a list has already gone from the saleswoman to the builder to take care of all the issues as she sees it - total list consists of a radiator on the piste and a sticking kitchen door and that's it. The sink is scratched badly after 2 years of sales people's use, marks on the walls, locks sticking etc and that's without me looking for faults in particular. Question is surely the same rules apply to a showhome - I am buying a new home after all. Any advice most appreciated.

Don't know if you have resolved this but show homes are sold as seen.
Other building defects come under your NHBC warranty.

The sales girl will snag the house, and in reply to the person questioning the sales persons ability, as an ex sales woman with over a decades experience in new builds I can snag a house almost as well as any professional snagger, although I do tend to have to look up NHBC tolerances.
That said, it is a show home so the snagging will most likely be cosmetic. if it's been standing for two years any issues with the CH, electrics, plumbing, etc etc would be apparent by now. You could always do your own cosmetic list, but any decorator they send in should be instructed to attend to any marks on walls and skirts and cils any shrinkage and any damage.
If there are sink scratches maybe you could ask for them to be attended to by the bath doctor but I can't see them replacing it for you.
Check if your paperwork says 'sold as seen'
You aren't buying a new house, a show home is different.
Hope that helps.

NewHomeExpert

Don't know if you have resolved this but show homes are sold as seen.
Other building defects come under your NHBC warranty.

The sales girl will snag the house, and in reply to the person questioning the sales persons ability, as an ex sales woman with over a decades experience in new builds I can snag a house almost as well as any professional snagger, although I do tend to have to look up NHBC tolerances.
That said, it is a show home so the snagging will most likely be cosmetic. if it's been standing for two years any issues with the CH, electrics, plumbing, etc etc would be apparent by now. You could always do your own cosmetic list, but any decorator they send in should be instructed to attend to any marks on walls and skirts and cils any shrinkage and any damage.
If there are sink scratches maybe you could ask for them to be attended to by the bath doctor but I can't see them replacing it for you.
Check if your paperwork says 'sold as seen'
You aren't buying a new house, a show home is different.
Hope that helps.

A show home is different. It's overpriced and second-hand.

As a sales woman, you cannot be regarded as "as almost as well as a professional snagger" if as you say you "have to look up NHBC tolerances"
For a start, if it is not within + or - 0mm it is technically wrong.
Presumably you have no detailed knowledge of Building Regulations and/or NHBC standards either.