Snagging Inspections
    Thanks

Default Opinions on brickwork

Hi All,

I've recently moved into a new build house by Rowland Homes. The garage wall brick work sticks out like a sore thumb, see attached photos.

It's really noticeable at night, and just looks a complete mess. Am I being over critical here?

Please let me know your opinions and what could be done about it?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Hi

First of all i should tell you that the NHBC produces a document called "a guide to good brick work" and they also comment in the " consistant approach to finishes " document along with technical standards
    In addition brick manufacturers produce details of the standards of appearance and workmanship they expect

Along with methods of assessing these things

Now unfortunatley your photos taken at night .with a bright side light source and from an oblique angle less than 10m from the wall ....breaking all the assessment rules

Can you send photos straight on in natural daylight so that a comparison can be made ...and i would be happy to offer an opinion based on my experience inspecting new homes and brickwork on a daily basis
    Last edited by newbuildinspections; 20th October 2017 at 09:07. Reason: Spellings

3. The Following User Says Thank You to newbuildinspections For This Useful Post:

Mancs80 (20th October 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by newbuildinspections View Post
    Hi

First of all i should tell you that the NHBC produces a document called "a guide to good brick work" and they also comment in the " consistant approach to finishes " document along with technical standards
    In addition brick manufacturers produce details of the standards of appearance and workmanship they expect

Along with methods of assessing these things

Now unfortunatley your photos taken at night .with a bright side light source and from an oblique angle less than 10m from the wall ....breaking all the assessment rules

Can you send photos straight on in natural daylight so that a comparison can be made ...and i would be happy to offer an opinion based on my experience inspecting new homes and brickwork on a daily basis

Hi,

Thanks for coming back to me so quickly!

Here are the photos which I've just taken now.

thanks again. Your help is really appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Ok ...thanks

When blown up the pictures get a bit blurry

My first observation is that the diagonal flecks you get in the bricks are not present in the gable triangle area...so theres been a batching issue

Other than that wall appears wet in places ...the verges should prevent constant wetness ...keep an eye on things

Going back to your night photos ...the uneveness in depth and texture is purely due the light position ...it happens a lot when photograghing plaster walls ....the side light shows up all the minute imperfections ...try it ...you will see ...it exagerates any uneveness

So from only the pictures you have supplied ...i would have to say in general terms things look OK in brickwork terms other than those pointed out

6. The Following User Says Thank You to newbuildinspections For This Useful Post:

Mancs80 (21st October 2017)

Thanks

Snagging Inspections
    Thanks for your help and taking the time to offer your advice, it's reassuring! I'll try altering the angle of that light, it's bloody annoying me lol.

Thanks again!