Snagging Inspections
    Thanks

Default Crest - Refusing to allow professional snagging before completion

Hi NHO,

I am nearing the legal completion (early) on my 2 Bed apartment in Milton Keynes. Previous estimate was Mid May 2017 but they told me they are looking at end of March 2017 for completion which is great if they don't rush over the quality.

I have had few issues raised which none has been rectified yet and only pushing into delays (about a month now) by saying builders have this looked into as a top priority and mostly Sales talk. I visited them last week and it seemed like the issue I raised was an architectural fault and affecting two other floors.

I told them that I was not happy with the level of service I received by Crest and would like to have the apartment snagged by a professional, but the Sales Advisor quickly refused the request by saying, they do their own snagging inspection and would not allow any third party snagging inspection before legal completion. I asked my solicitor to send a letter about this, but they in return said they cannot help me in this regard.

I am a first time buyer and a it lost on what options do i have in this regard. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    P

Thanks

Why can your solicitor not help you

Please tell me you have used builders recommended solicitor ....if you have then the answer is obvious ...they wont bite the hand that feeds them

If its your own solicitor tell them that the builders code of conduct allows that the buyers representatives be afforded the opportunity to inspect

I know crest dont like it ...and many of my cliebts end up getting the inspection done soon after ( as they dont want to rock the boat) but you should be able to inspect , and they should not prevent it ...but they do
    Many Thanks
    Steve

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Makebetterhomes View Post
    Why can your solicitor not help you

Please tell me you have used builders recommended solicitor ....if you have then the answer is obvious ...they wont bite the hand that feeds them

If its your own solicitor tell them that the builders code of conduct allows that the buyers representatives be afforded the opportunity to inspect

I know crest dont like it ...and many of my cliebts end up getting the inspection done soon after ( as they dont want to rock the boat) but you should be able to inspect , and they should not prevent it ...but they do
    Unfortunately yes. Hoped to save some quid, i think i ended up in this situation. They had been very helpful since the start until I asked them about this issue.

This is an excerpt of the email i got from them:
    "You are required to complete the purchase ie pay over the money and take ownership once the property has been signed off by the NHBC. They will have checked that it meets their standards and once that has been done you have to complete otherwise you are in breach of contract and can be liable for penalties so that is not a course of action I would advise. You certainly can do a snagging list but if the NHBC have issued their cover note there is little that you can do in practical terms apart from complete and then report the items to them. The Code is very vague and limited in respect of its references to specification so that is not a lot of help I fear. All I can suggest in practical terms is that you continue to "rather their cage" until you are satisfied. You might consider social media but do remember that anything you say must be true and accurate otherwise you could lay yourself open to legal action for defamation"

Well i am currently hoping to get some independent legal advice if what my solicitor is telling me is the only option i have.

Thanks

Snagging Inspections
    Quote Originally Posted by pshrestha View Post
    Unfortunately yes. Hoped to save some quid, i think i ended up in this situation. They had been very helpful since the start until I asked them about this issue.

This is an excerpt of the email i got from them:
    "You are required to complete the purchase ie pay over the money and take ownership once the property has been signed off by the NHBC. They will have checked that it meets their standards and once that has been done you have to complete otherwise you are in breach of contract and can be liable for penalties so that is not a course of action I would advise. You certainly can do a snagging list but if the NHBC have issued their cover note there is little that you can do in practical terms apart from complete and then report the items to them. The Code is very vague and limited in respect of its references to specification so that is not a lot of help I fear. All I can suggest in practical terms is that you continue to "rather their cage" until you are satisfied. You might consider social media but do remember that anything you say must be true and accurate otherwise you could lay yourself open to legal action for defamation"

Well i am currently hoping to get some independent legal advice if what my solicitor is telling me is the only option i have.
    That is really poor advice from your solicitors. Who are they? You have an option of changing solicitors. Obviously that will cost more in the interim. But it would cost a lot more if you end up with a house full of issues.

I never understand how people get sucked up into saving a few hundred pounds when buying houses worth many hundred thousands. Really not what you want to skimp on! Let us know how you get on with a second opinion.