Snagging Inspections
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NHBC Forum

Administrator
    Thanks

Default NHBC Forum

Have you had a good or bad experience with the NHBC like Kelly's? If so, post your message here.

Post edited by: tony, at: 2006/04/17 20:55

Post edited by: tony, at: 2006/05/10 19:34
    Get the Snagging Guide for FREE.
    Visit whatconsumer.co.uk for more general consumer advice and information about your consumer rights.
    Get Immediate Legal Advice ==> CLICK HERE <==

Thanks

Default Re:NHBC Forum

An NHBC Claims Inspector told me 'If you don't have rising damp after 2 years, you never will'. She must have known something that every single professional in the industry has missed, even the BRE (Building Research Establishment).

Colin Jack

The following is a quote by Barbara regarding Persimmon Homes - posted 2005/09/02 14:28

'NHBC behaves like a builders club and the really annoying thing is that they pretend to do inspections, see all the problems and rule in favour of the builder. What a waste of my time. So if any of the previous contributors to that forum know anything, please let me know.'

Following the NHBC Resolution meeting I had with an NHBC Claims Inspector and BETT HOMES my Consultant Engineer, who was present throughout the meeting, wrote in his report:

'The overall impression was that S. Darkins (NHBC representative) and C. Readie (Bett Homes representative) were presenting a united front against the homeowner rather than genuinely trying to provide a resolution to longstanding and clearly stated problems.'

and

'Neither S.Darkins nor C. Readie appeared to understand some of the technical issues involved in construction, nor to be aware of the provisions of many of the relevant standards and codes of practice.'

This was from a Chartered Civil Engineer of 30 years experience.

Further correspondence with the NHBC clearly showed what little interest they have in owners concerns.

Thanks

The following is a quote from 'Top tips for buying a new build home' at http://www.tiscali.co.uk/money/featu...new-build.html

'3. Check that the house has a warranty from Zurich Municipal, the NHBC or Premier. However, these do not guarantee that your home will be free from defects and are primarily insurance schemes for the developer not the home owner.'

Everyone needs to be aware, as stated above, that these warranties are primarily insurance schemes for the developer not the home owner. Even more worrying is that the house buyer is paying the premiums on behalf of the developer.

These warranties are very very limited in what they cover. If you look at a new NHBC warranty you will find that there is a 1000 limit for each individual claim. Put simply if you have 100 snagging items each costing 999 to put right, you can forget it. It is only the most significant defects costing more than 1000 that will be fixed. How many faults would that be?????

Thanks

I have owned a new build George Wimpey home at Hamstreet near Ashford since December '05 and have had nothing but grief with the place. When I have turned to the NHBC for support I found them to be a complete waste of space. In March '06 the contractors brought in by George Wimpey to do corrective works to the house strongly recommended we contact the NHBC to insist on a visit by their Inspector as there were so many issues wrong with the house including the roof and chimney stack. When I contacted the NHBC they didn't want to know - replying that their Inspectors don't come to individual houses, only developments that have problems as a whole!! In my last attempt to get the NHBC on-site following a leaking bedroom ceiling and a flooded garage, I again got nowhere with the NHBC after being told by George Wimpey's Customer Care Manager that 'all houses let in water' and 'no garage is waterproof'!! I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the NHBC's lack of response afterall it is the Developers like George Wimpey that contribute to the NHBC's funding!!

Administrator
    Thanks

Dear Emanuel,

This is absolutely outrageous behaviour on the part of the NHBC and George Wimpey Homes. Did they put this in writing or were you fobbed off on the phone? If the latter make a written complaint to the NHBC. It would be good if you could get the contractor to put their observations down in writing to include with the letter, although they may be worried about losing their contract.

I hope this helps

Tony
    Visit whatconsumer.co.uk for more general consumer advice and information about your consumer rights.

Thanks

Thanks Tony. In answer to your questions, on both occasions (March '06 and November '06) I was fobbed off by the NHBC Claims 'Helpline'. Just before the second call was made I wrote to the NHBC detailing our shoddy treatment by George Wimpey. I also asked how a new build like ours, of such poor quality, could have been passed by an NHBC Inspector. The replied that George Wimpey were attempting to put right everything that was going wrong and completely glossed over the question about the NHBC Inspector's involvement. When I made my second call to the NHBC Claims line in November '06 I pushed this question forward again and was asked by the Call Centre operative 'what good would it do'!

A reliable source on our Development has since heard from another source that the NHBC Inspector involved with our site has been suspended. We are unable to confirm this. Again, NHBC have this impenetrable wall which more often than not remains silent.

As good as the later Contractor's have been, undertaking remedial work on our homes, when they make a comment about any aspect of the houses, they are quick to add 'you didn't hear this from me, but....'. George Wimpey have such a hold over them. All are unanimous in their belief that our properties were rushed.

Administrator
    Thanks

Hi Emmanuel,

It might be worth getting an expert opinion from a local builder, building surveyor or a snagging inspector. If you ask them just to look at the roof and the chimney. The NHBC and George Wimpey would find it difficult to argue with their report and won't be able to fob you off.

Tony

Thanks

we have suffered at the hands of our builder now for just over 2 years. we are at our wits end and have repeatedly tried ot get the NHBC to help , instead i get letters saying they must have misunderstood the conversation and send me a booklet of guidlines. I have 3 now , perhaps e-bay may be better!

Thanks

Snagging Inspections
    Hi guys,

Just registered on the forum as I too have been having serious problems with the ever elusive NHBC and am at my wits end with them.

We bought our new house Oct 05 from Taggart Homes (stay well clear of that lot, and since have had several inspection where the builders have not even bothered to turn up but still the NHBC claims investigator gives them more and more time to rectify the problems and extends deadline after deadline.

But yet when I did not recently reply to a NHBC investigator's letter within 5 weeks he closed my claim believing it was 'resolved'. He couldn't even be bothered to make a call to check as it was 'not his obligation to do so'.

We are now into year 3 on our policy and as such have been told ny the NHBC only this morning that our problem - a very leaky shower which floods the kitchen every time it's used - is now not covered as it is out of the initial 2 year reporting period even though it was initially reported some well within the 2 year period.

Pardon my cynical view, but is the NHBC not funded by the builders who are members of the organisation? Therefore, how can such a regulatory body honestly be entrusted to act impartially?

Any advice or comments welcomed.

B

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast