Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NHBC Resolution Service

Thanks

Default NHBC Resolution Service

If NHBC send you a completely incomprehensible letter, saying "that as your problems have been subject to legal proceedings, this dispute is not suitable for consideration under the Resolution Service and the NHBC will be unable to assist further on this occasion" where does that leave you when you still have some of the 2 year initial snagging cover - what do you do next?

Thanks

come on folks someone out there must know something, really really need advice.

Administrator
    Thanks

Hi, my understanding is that as soon as you start legal proceedings you cannot use the resolution servive.
    Get the Snagging Guide for FREE.
    Visit whatconsumer.co.uk for more general consumer advice and information about your consumer rights.
    Do us a favour 'Like' us on Facebook CLICK HERE

Thanks

we didn't, the builder took us to court as we refused to make a full and final payment when the house was still incomplete i.e. 3 rooms to decorate, tile, electrics to finish, floors to finish etc!

we finally had to settle out of court and certain items were excluded from nhbc warranty - now they appear to be taking the view that everything is excluded.

if it means that by going to court against your will you lose all your warranty, seems a bit unfair!

Administrator
    Thanks

I agree it is not fair. However, you can take you complaint to the FSA. I'll post the link later.
    Visit whatconsumer.co.uk for more general consumer advice and information about your consumer rights.

Administrator
    Thanks

This is from the NHBC website.

Complaints about NHBC
    Complaints procedures
    Complaints about NHBC – NHBC’s Complaints Procedure
    At NHBC we pride ourselves on the service we provide to our customers. If you are not satisfied with the way we handle
    your request for help or your claim, please write to the Claims Customer Liaison Manager at NHBC House, Davy Avenue,
    Knowlhill, Milton Keynes, Bucks MK5 8FP, setting out brief details of your complaint. They will arrange for your
    complaint to be investigated in accordance with NHBC’s claims complaints procedure. We will send a written summary
    of the complaints procedure on request.
    Complaints about NHBC – Referral to the Financial Ombudsman Service
    If your complaint is not resolved (to your satisfaction), you may be entitled to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman
    Service (an independent body) where it relates to our insurance cover under part 2 of section 2 or sections 1, 3, 4 or 5.
    The Financial Ombudsman Service does not deal with complaints about the Builder’s performance of its obligations
    under Buildmark cover, or about NHBC’s Resolution Service.
    Further information about the Financial Ombudsman Service is available on its website
    (Financial Ombudsman Service) or by writing to:
    The Financial Ombudsman Service,
    South Quay Plaza,
    183 Marsh Wall,
    London E14 9SR.
    If the Financial Ombudsman Service investigates your complaint, it will inform you of its findings in writing. NHBC must
    accept those findings. However, you do not have to accept them. Any decision of the Financial Ombudsman Service
    does not affect your rights against NHBC under your Buildmark cover.

Thanks

not sure what that does other than give me someone to bitch to who will do nothing as i can't see what my complaint is meant to cover as it doesn't address the non-snagging of the builder, or the non performance of the resolution service at NHBC, it just gives me someone completely inconsequential to complain but on what grounds?. It still doesn't get my house finished without me paying for it for perhaps the 4th time around now.

quite frankly what it means is don't buy a new build as whatever happens your are f d! At least if you buy a second hand house, you can have it properly surveyed and agree a buying price, you know what you are getting.

I am happy to complain to the ombudsman and take it as far as I can but really what is the nature of my complaint? I may be thick but i can't see what it does for me?

Administrator
    Thanks

If the Financial Ombudsman Service investigates your complaint, it will inform you of its findings in writing. NHBC must accept those findings. However, you do not have to accept them.
    I don't think it is a waste of time and is cheaper than legal action

Thanks

i am having another crack at NHBC as i think they are wrong regarding the snagging and the court action.

so will see how that goes.

what i don't understand is the grounds/argument for referring to the FSA i.e. what is the rationale. I am very happy to do it, but don't understand what I can and can't ask them to do.

sorry not being pedantic, just being thick.

Administrator
    Thanks

I think you have answered your own question: You want the FSA to make a judgement on:

i think they are wrong regarding the snagging and the court action

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast