What is the point?

New Build Inspections

NewHomeExpert

I am asking myself what is the point of my coming on here every morning for an hour or so, offering free professional help and advice when we live in a world where people just take advantage of the goodwill, kindness and the dedication of others.

Some, they know who thay are, privately email me asking for help which I give. They are too affraid to post a story about their new home or publicly name builder.
They are cowards, hiding in the backround.

Others make offers or promises to do something in return for the advice given then do nothing. They know who they are!

This is NOT my forum! I do not own it. I do not receive any income from it and very rarely get a "thank you" from any of the many people I have helped. So I ask myself today..........WHAT IS THE POINT?

Today right now, there are supposed to be 25 "members" on here and 60 guests. None of these so-called "members" will post.

The guests will see all the information and experiences of new home buyers and still naively go ahead and buy a new home despite every warning bell and red flag. Some may even come back on here asking for help when they have inevitable problems with their house builders.

As for the house builders, they know what they build.
There is no shaming them.
The CEO and directors are only interested in the money they can get, not building great homes for people. They are greedy.
The builders always have an explanation or excuse ready when they get caught. They never want to face their customers.
The government is on the side of big business - not the rights of British people.
When builders break rules, nothing is done.

So I ask you, what is the point?
What is the point of trying to change things?
What is the point of helping ungrateful stupid people who still buy a UK new home when all the information suggests they should not.
What is the point of writing and maintaining 160 page (45,000) word website to help the naive UK new home buyer, when in seven years, not one of the million or so visitors, NOT ONE, has ever bothered to send an e mail to thank me for the website.

Everyone today expects something for nothing.
So What is the point?

Ianholding

Wow strong words !
Appreciate the frustration.
Let me take this opportunity to thank you for the responses you have provided for me during my current saga.

Divi

What is the point of helping ungrateful stupid people who still buy a UK new home when all the information suggests they should not.
What is the point of writing and maintaining 160 page (45,000) word website to help the naive UK new home buyer, when in seven years, not one of the million or so visitors, NOT ONE, has ever bothered to send an e mail to thank me for the website.

Everyone today expects something for nothing.
So What is the point?

I bought a new home I am not stupid and resent being told otherwise, I am sure every new home owner on here has enough problems
without your childish rant. Your attitude may well explain why members do not post. People come on here for advice and a great many
of them do say thank you, myself included but it appears its not good enough for you. People have no choice but to buy a new home
there are not enough second hand ones to go around. Millions run websites, heaven forbid they all go to bed at night crying
because no one said thank you. For the record my new home is 100% my issue was with the garden.

hoodwinked

Alas it seems the more you do for people the less you get back these days. And as for building skills, they seem to have gone by the wayside too... :-/

NewHomeExpert

A very few people do show their appreciation.
I have had a couple of donations made in recent weeks, which helps a bit considering the time I spend on here giving free professional help and advice. You won't find many other professionals who give up 6 hours a week to do the equivallent.

zednine

I bought a new home I am not stupid and resent being told otherwise, I am sure every new home owner on here has enough problems
without your childish rant. Your attitude may well explain why members do not post. People come on here for advice and a great many
of them do say thank you, myself included but it appears its not good enough for you. People have no choice but to buy a new home
there are not enough second hand ones to go around. Millions run websites, heaven forbid they all go to bed at night crying
because no one said thank you. For the record my new home is 100% my issue was with the garden.

bet it was not 100%..

tian

Hello NewHomeExpert,

Just dropping by to say thanks for answering my post ("paw shaped plaster marks", hopefully it will be nothing more than just "drywall popped nail").

As for "why bother":

I'm a software engineer by trade (e.g. chap who programs computers), and anyone who is anyone in my industry has got to where they are by relying on generosity of "the wider community". It is hard to be an expert at everything in life, yet it seems that people are increasingly expected to be experts at more things than ever. Trivial examples - if your laptop crashes, a quick google will return lots of articles on how to identify and replace faulty components (before, it would have been a visit to Dixons); if you want to know how to make a beef stroganoff, a quick search on the internet should bring up a whole bunch of recipes (before, you would have had to book a book).

Every time someone answers a question, it is making a contribution to "the wider community". Next time some building newbie asks "what are those paw shaped marks?", anywhere in the civilized world, googling for "paw shaped plaster mark" will return a link to your answer (try it!).

Sure - these posts will not revolutionise the building industry overnight, but it does help to slowly educate the public. Good information is recognised. My wife and I had visited your site a few months back - we found it independently of this forum as I didn't realise that you were the owner until just now. You are obviously valued by google as a source of "good info for new buyers" (this is quite an achievement).

As for why you should bother (e.g. what are the benefits to you personally, ignore the "wider community" for the moment being) - this is also a good and fair question. Website donations aren't always a good indicator of value - look at how many people donate to Wikipedia. There is also no shame in claiming the reputation credits that you've earned. I don't know what you do for a day-to-day job, but as an example, I'd imaging that if were to start a snagging service, you would be in high demand due to the effort and reputation you've built up.

t