Newbie with questions

Discussion in 'Snagging - general' started by Snaggy, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Snaggy

Snaggy New Member

Hi all

I was hoping to get some advice. I’m a little confused which way to go with things and am getting different information/advice from solicitor, builder etc.

Basically, have not yet exchanged. New build home is reserved and being built. Solicitor says I should pay for a private surveyor to come and look at the property before we exchange in a couple of weeks. I don’t get this as the property is not finished (and won’t be in a couple of weeks) so don’t see how a private surveyor can survey a property that is not complete and I’m not even sure the developers would let them on site.

On the other hand, the builder says I don’t need any independent snagger as they will cover it all and have someone who performs this task free of charge prior to us moving in.

My question are as follows:

What is the best course of action when it comes to surveying/snagging the property? Should I pay someone indepdenent to do one or the other (or both) and at what time should this be done (prior to exchange or completion)?

Also, if I want to get someone to snag / survey the property independently either prior to exchange or prior to completion what are my rights relative to the builder? Can the builder block the inspection if they wanted to at either of these points and how forceful should I be when it comes to pushing for these inspections? (I am assuming their first response will be negative and they will argue it’s not needed as they provide this service).

Thanks
    Snaggy

2. Makebetterhomes

Makebetterhomes Super Moderator

your builder is obliged by law to give you two weeks notice of completion , so at that time the property should have beengiven its CML cerificate and be finished ready for a snagging inspection

if its not finished , YES , there is no point in doing the inspection .

so

if fr any reason and this often happens , you only get notice the house is ready the day before you move in , it offers you little chance to inspect before completion , so then the best thing is to organise for afternoon or completion or as soon as possible afterwards ....i say as soon as possible because they will try to blame you or your removals for any damages ....

and you only get 7 days to report glass , or sanitary issues , or kitchen and appliance issues

hope this info is useful

3. Snaggy

Snaggy New Member

Thank you for the response, this is helpful and will line something up pre completion