New build floors

New Build Inspections

Trapped in hell

We have been in endless communication since I last posted. I am now utterly traumatised and in total disblief.

My 'EXPERLTY CRAFTED LUXURY' newbuild Wainhome has been constructed with no insulation in most of the required walls and a structural wall has not been constructed as structurally required.
They need to come take fitted wardrobes out in several rooms, shower out , bath out, carpets up? We have requested this does not happen until the floor is allowed to be diagnosed.
We are told by NHBC we have to prove and diagnose ourself, first resolution reported 'no further action' despite at the visit neither the builder or NHBC knew what floor we had , being distraught after this meeting and in one of my sleepness nights I came up with the idea of taking bath panels off to see if the floorboards would be marked and hey presto managed to inform the NHBC what floor we had . Next meeting NHBC came alone and this time he had a drawing and altered his resolution to investigation required and suggested that at least the lounge ceiling was taken down and bars fitted and the noises in the en suite to be investigated and suggested a meeting with manufacturers was arranged. This meeting took place and not all manufacturers were invited to attend , the representative of the designers of the floor - turned out to be an employee of Wainhomes the next week.
Nothing could really be seen and they were not interested, they did spend time looking a a picture of a joist we had taken a photo of after cutting holes in our ceiling - the joist is severely water stained and has a huge red streak of paint,it is not alligned properly, the bottom flange is coming away and a visible crack can be seen. They looked for a long time and then came up with it was sacrificial - meaning not needed , the problem is many joists are connected to this red streaked defective joist and there is no other joist at the back of it so it seems to me it is very much required. We have found alot of places with no glue huge gaps , mortar crumbling away from around the joists and no blocking pieces , joists no sitting properly where there is a hanger ( only a few)holes smashed through larger than 20mm right next the flange , in one area the it actually comes up throught the bottom flange. We have a 22mm p5 floorboard 240mm joist, and 15mm plasterboard. We hear everything through the floor use of the upstairs wc, converstaion , tv, draws opening, teaspoon in a cup etc - how are floors allowed to be installed without insulation ?- why does the floor shake/ swing the light fittings make terrible noises and creak and groan, a glass of water swills from side to side when you walk over - is this the future of new build floors? I thought floors had to comply on installation to a minimum 40db. There is one LA building control thatseems to state this system will not comply to building regs even if installed properly so why are the NHBC allowing this system to be installed. They did not even know the floor system had been changed hence why on the first visit they did not know what floor we had!
Wainhomes will not allow access to the drawings now , they have become topsecret and they have instructed the NHBC we cannot even view them or any other reports. I have quoted the consumer code for builders but the NHBC say this is a separate body and they cannot make them release access tothe drawings so we can see how the floor should have been constructed- why would they do this? How can they allow a new homeowner to suffer so much distress, how are you supposed live with all this going on and then knowing your home needs to be almost turned back to a building site.
How is this acceptable?

Last edited: