Here we go then, done all I can, lets see

New Build Inspections

NewHomeExpert

Screwfix stuff isnt top quality either, but is is good value.
Persimmon must also price in the commissions paid to site sales and the site manager, their office overheads and admin, and an allowance for going back if (when) it leaks in the future!

You would be surprised how much the plumber would want too, especially if he had already first and second fixed the house.

Like you, I fitted an outside tap myself and I am no plumber either.
Biggest cost was the 300mm x 15mm masonry drill bit to go through the cavity wall!

As with most things in life, quality costs!

JAKing

Thing is though i live in cumbria, as you well know, it does not take a rocket scientist, therefor, to figure out where i work. The fact of the matter is pretty much everyone else on the estate here works in the same place. We demand quality, and persimmon are not providing. Thats why the extras total for the sales staff is so low. Thats why the site manager is running around like a headless chicken at the moment, putting right that which should have been right in the first place. There could be profit to be made from doing a decent job and fitting quality extras, but there is little to no profit for them in selling next to no extras, and having to re-work the simple things, in the hope people here wont notice, because you can guarantee, we will.
BJ+R > Cj

BODGE JOB + REWORK is greater in their price than CORRECT JOB FIRST TIME

in other words there is more profit in doing it correctly in the first place, than there is in doing a crap job and having to re do it.

on the screwfix point - yes point taken its not the best gear in the world, but could be worse, though the outside tap is the only thing i have a 15 year guarantee and a certificate of conformity for.

Lucky for me I already had the drill bits (long story but needed a few 18" long masonry drill bits at the old house, so i have a set of odd number 5-35 mm, they are diamond tipped bad boys) Have a lot and I mean a lot of good tools, but as I said, I like tinkering with engines and things, also I bought the last house at auction for about 15p and a half chewed pack of polo mints, so it needed a bit of work doing before we could move in, 6 years on and my tool kit keeps growing.

Last edited:

NewHomeExpert

I agree, doing something once is more profitable than doing it twice for the same money.
When will the likes of Persimmon learn.
I knew one director, who when given the accounts asked, are we making money? The answer was "yes" so he handed them back to the accountant and said "I don't need this then!"
They are only interested in making profit not how much it seems.

Amazing your outside tap has a longer warranty than your new house!

Good tools are a wise investment.
The feeling of knowing you have the right tool for the right job on a Sunday morning and the ability to do it is very satisfying.
I bought my set of Marples chisels and Record Jack plane when I was 14! I still use them today, they lasted longer than the individual companies did!
My Harris emulsion roller tray is 30 years old- I used it just yesterday.