Creaking Floor Upstairs

Discussion in 'Snagging - requests for help' started by Nathan1144, Jan 11, 2017.

  1. Nathan1144

    Nathan1144 New Member


    We moved into our house in June 2016 and over the last 3 months we have noticed the upstairs landing and in the bedrooms has become so creaky.

    Also where I get in and out of bed a crater seems to have appeared in the floor.

    Can somebody tell me if this can be repaired easily and if my builders are responsible or would I have to sort myself. So far the builders (Keepmoat) have not been the most helpful when sorting out small problems so could I take this to the NHBC straight away?

    Any guidance or advice is appreciated.


  2. Doh1

    Doh1 New Member

    Get it reported to your builders customer service dept, they should come back to fix it.

    Also by reporting it (try to get some worksheet or something from your builders confirming the issue), then if you still have the issue after your warranty expires nhbc will request your builders come back to sort it.

    I've had the builders back three times now to sort my squeaky boards out, it's never ending! One area gets fixed then it starts somewhere else.....rubbish
  3. Nathan1144

    Nathan1144 New Member

    Thanks for the reply.

    They are coming to have a look on Tuesday for me.

    If they agree that the floor needs fixing (which I'm sure they will) are they responsible for re-laying my carpets once work has been completed as I didn't get them from the developer.

    Thank you
  4. Doh1

    Doh1 New Member

    I'm not sure on that, they usually send contractors round who may just pull them up and refit anyway, (in my experience they won't get carpet fitters in to do it)

    Id also assume if the carpets get damaged then you'd have to take that up with the contractors directly as the builders wouldn't be liable.

    We didn't have any carpet damage when the contractors rectified our squeaks, maybe if your concerned get them rolled up prior to the rectification?
  5. NewHomeExpert

    NewHomeExpert Well-Known Member

  6. Doh1

    Doh1 New Member

    There IS a difference between 'creaking boards' and 'cracking noises' as per your link.

    Creaking boards are the floorboards/floor joists working loose causing movement.

    Cracking noises (which the link above refers too) seems to originate from ceilings, but do not yet have a root cause, the investigation highlights potential fixes (I've had them all with no success, rescrewed, perimeters cut to seperate ceiling from walls,, and resilient bars fitted - non worked). The builders and/or nhbc don't appear to fully understand the cause (from my experience) and more than likely don't want to invest much funding to sort it! Engineered I beam floor joists seem to exadurate the cracking noises in new builds to a level more noticeable.

    As you state 'creaking ' in your original post then this will be a floorboard issue, more than likely they will just cut a hole in the floor area making the noise and add extra noggins/supports or additional fixings to sort (only in the localised areas). I've had this competed three times so far and I'd be surprised if they would make you move out unless the noises are everywhere!
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  7. mkfc1981

    mkfc1981 New Member

    Good post , I too have issues with cracking noise travelling along the ceilings on the higher levels, I requested my plot file from the developer, and one of the contractors mentioned that I'beams require bracing. Shockingly the NHBC enabled the contractor but claiming cracking sound is caused by shrinkage. Shocking really.
  8. Trapped in hell

    Trapped in hell New Member

    You need to find the BBA certificates for your floor system and look up the NHBC techincal requirments as to how these ijoists are supposed to be installed. You also need the floor design drawing for your home. The builder and NHBC will refuse you access to these. We have had a absolute nightmare gaining access to the drawing. The NHBC and the builders ignore the Consumer Code for Homebuilders and they will not assist you to diagnose what is wrong with your floor. The resilient bar solution is a temporary fix in most cases for most likely floors that are shockingly installed along with in our case the plumbing and electrics. Please also look up an article 'silent floors silent killers, this information has been known since 2007 - why were these floors deemed acceptable to be installed in homes???? The NHBC also had the British Standard Paramenters reduced in order for these type of floors to meet the BS and the the sound test they carry out are in a small sample without any cutouts and in a laboratory test they only just meet the 40db. The NHBC remit is supposed to be to raise the standrards and protect homeowners - in reality this is the total opposite. You can request if you have vaLid justificatio nto view your building control records at the premises of the NHBC, you will have to be persistent and may have to go to your MP. All of our photographs will be published so yo ucan see what they try to cover up withthe assiStance of the NHBC. Check your home insurance policy to see if you have legal expenses cover. You will enter a total nightmare of denial and coverup to protect everything you have worked most of your life for. A house is the most expensive purchase we make, a new home is supposed to bring joy and happiness not a total trauamatic nightmare which ruins your life , livelihood and health. Some people can simply not face this and try to ignore the issues or simply sell the house to escape. This is probably the best solution but will leave you open to be sued- so you do end up trapped in hell!
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  9. mkfc1981

    mkfc1981 New Member

    where do you find BBA certificates for your floor?
  10. Steve the para

    Steve the para New Member

    The manufacturer gave us copies for ours

Share This Page